Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP! New Heating System

I am debating between two proposals and any insight is helpful.
1) Buderas G115WS/4 with Riello Burner and 40 Gal. Bradford White indirect water heater. Using 3 zone valves for the two zones and the indirect. Spirovent air elimination. Installer is a small 3 man show who also did my BOSCH AC/Heat pump this past spring. Work was quality and efficient.

2) Viessmann VITOROND VR-1-27 92 with Riello Burner and 35 Gal Vaughn indirect water heater. Using 3 circulators for the two zones and the indirect. Honeywell (super??) air elimination. Installer is my oil company with mainly 5 star Google reviews. Cost is $200 less than option 1.

All other work and accompanying parts are on par with each other.
Not sure if there is a wrong choice, but maybe there's a better choice?

Thanks!

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    edited December 2019
    Flip a coin perhaps but in general go with the Co that has better service. Your oil co is geared for after hours right?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    When everything’s equal go with what you know. if The first guys did a decent job for you previously I’d tend to favour them. $200 is nothing in the grand scheme of things what a heating system costs.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    As someone that works for a smaller company,

Small companies that have loyal repeat customers , get special treatment. If they did good work before they will likely do good work again. The bigger guys are probably fine but less of a guarantee.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    That being said, zoned circulator tend to be
    Better than zone valve setups for reliability and performance, but cost a bit more. Might see if option 1 will upgrade for a price.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Go with who you trust, as opposed to the equipment.
    I'm not familiar with the Viessmann, and love the Buderus, but the installer is the deciding factor.
    Was a heat loss calculation done by either contractor?
    With either boiler, I would look into a BF Riello. Much quieter and brings in outside combustion air.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    The installing contractor makes or breaks a System.
    On Line Reviews are worthless.

Id prefer separate circulators over zone valves!

Agreed Has a heat Load / Loss ben performed?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Both are quality boilers, although I am not the biggest fan of Riello oil burners. If money was no object I would install an Energy Kinetics boiler in my house. I would look into if anyone in your area is an EK installer.

Both Spirovent and Honeywell Supervents are great products. No new boilers should be installed without a micro bubble resorber air eliminator in my opinion. Make sure that your new boiler is installing the circulator pumping away from the expansion tank! This is critical for proper operation and air removal.
    STEVEusaPA
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Go with who you know. Build the relationship. They will be there when you need service. And use them for you r service. You will get good long efficient life.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    My experience with Buderus has been excellent! Riello, Excellent! Bradford White, great!
    Not much experience with Viessmann.

That said... I would pick the Oil Dealer! Better Customer service from oil dealer because they want you to buy oil. They have a vested interest in keeping your heater operating!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Mainiac
    Mainiac Member Posts: 12
    Have you looked into the Energy Kinetics System 2000? I just had one installed a couple weeks ago and love it. It's super quiet and very efficient. The company has great customer service too. Its president and techs even frequent this forum. Check it out at the link below and if you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them. It would definitely be worth giving them a call to find a couple installers in your area and get an estimate or two.

https://energykinetics.com/
    Roger
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    Thank you for your kind words, @Mainiac - it's fantastic to hear that you're enjoying your new System 2000 so much!
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Rich_49
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    I would suggest zone valves and a delta p circulator. It’s rare to need 3 circs on that size system. A quality zone valve in good fluid quality will last 20 years or more and cost less to operate
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49Canucker