Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Straight pipe before pump

Options
CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 273
Saw an install that speced so many inches of straight pipe before and after the circ pumps.

I suppose this helps with flows and turbulence.
Do you try to keep this in your own install all the time?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    It is certainly advisable; inlet more so than outlet. I'd try to hold 10 diameters if possible.

The problem -- particularly on the inlet side -- is that if there is a bend closer to the inlet, you can get unbalanced pressure on the rotor. If the inlet pressure is low -- getting down to the required net positive suction head -- this can cause cavitation. Even with adequate pressure, however, it can cause unbalanced forces on the seals and bearings. Either one can lead to shortened pump life.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CBRob
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited November 2019
    Options
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/46/798d393e695b44af28da4f345362a2.jpg

Not always possible depending on space provided in the mechanical room.
    CBRobSolid_Fuel_Man
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Keep in mind also some of those pre-made panels with package boilers are tight. So tight I can't imagine ever making a plumbing repair.
    So try for the right dimension if you can get it.
    I can tell you on my own house, there just wasn't enough room with 6 zones/circs.
    steve
    Canucker
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    It's interesting to note that in pretty much all wet rotor circulators (choose your color) the inlet (suction) is a 90 degree bend right into the impeller.

We all know this isnt true on base mounted pumps of any real horsepower. The inlet is a straight line to the center of the impeller.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Gordy
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options

It's interesting to note that in pretty much all wet rotor circulators (choose your color) the inlet (suction) is a 90 degree bend right into the impeller.

We all know this isnt true on base mounted pumps of any real horsepower. The inlet is a straight line to the center of the impeller.

True. But in your wet rotor circulators it isn't just a simple elbow -- some poor soul spent hours on a model table (or computation fluid dynamics program) getting the geometry of the bend right to get an even pressure distribution at the flow rate of best efficiency. It's amazing what small tweaks to the geometry of the flow can do...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_ManCBRob
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    I think in residential sized circulators it’s splitting hairs. Look no farther than onboard circulators in mod/cons.........
    CBRobCanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man