Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Side Venting Boilers

Options
Hi,

I am considering replacing the boiler on my current steam system with a new boiler that vents out the side of the house, instead of the chimney. This is a natural gas fired boiler. A couple questions:

- does anyone know any brands that make this type of boiler so that I can research them?
- I have heard that the vent fan on these can be very loud. Any experience with this?

Thanks, Joe

Comments

• JPL941
    JPL941 Member Posts: 51
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Most important is the installer, one who is very familiar with steam. This site is loaded with some experts.
    steve
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have the Burnham IN5PV, as @JPL941 said. The fan assembly is louder than I expected. There is also a lot of vibration. Sometimes my main vents jingle. In the middle of the winter when everything stays warm between firings the noise is not as noticeable. I suspect it has bad bearings or the fan isn't balanced. I read about this being a common complaint, and it's mostly a quality problem with the fan assembly.

One thing with the INPV series to keep in mind is that the fan assembly blocks one of the 2" risers out of the boiler. So, you're limited to only one 2" riser. I compensated by using a larger header. Definitely double check the size boiler you need and make sure only one riser would work for your connected load.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Just get a good stereo and play your music loud! :D
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    And make sure the subwoofer is on!

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Hap_Hazzard
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    What about Field Controls power venters? I see they have a 3-6” models depending on boiler input. You purchase a seperate control kit for the safeties and pre/post purge timers.

Not sure if these impact any warranties on boilers or how they affect combustion. Not sure if you need a draft damper, if if the existing draft hood will still regulate draft adequately. I know draft will vary significantly in a chimney due to height, outdoor temp, indoor pressure and chimney size.
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    edited December 2019
    Options
    When I was looking for a boiler I considered those field controls. In the end, I assumed a boiler that had built in blower assembly would be better than adding one to regular atmospheric boiler. That belief wasn't based on anything other than gut instinct.

The noise isn't bad from the INPV models. I guess just don't expect it to be as quiet as an atmospheric boiler.

Like everything it's a trade-off. I switched to a power vented model so we could remove the chimney that impeded remodeling our kitchen, and to get the boiler out of the main space in the basement.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    The field controls power venters are a good product. Just need to be cleaned and have the motor oiled once a year. I see them quite often in the area I work in. Another option is Tjerlund power venters, but I have found them to be much noisier and a little less reliable.