Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a right end segment

MarkSmith412
MarkSmith412 Member Posts: 3
edited October 2019 in Strictly Steam
I'm a homeowner with a large Victorian house Johnstown PA. I've got a Model SIN8LNC-LE2 SN# 64045464. The right end segment has a hole in it, about 4" x 3". I'm looking to find a segment to replace it with. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Where did the hole come from? Might want to investigate.

You're going to have to hope someone is pulling one out and you can take the jacket off their hands.

3" x 4" isn't very big. Would a sheet metal patch do?

Isn't Johnstown the big hockey town up there?
    steve
  • MarkSmith412
    STEVEusaPA It looks like there has been a leak in that segment for a while. The segment next to it has some surface rust facing where the leak was. I was thinking about repairing the hole with some Extreme temp JB weld and when I was cleaning the crack a large piece just fell off to the inside. Not sure if I can get it to seal with the JB and a piece of sheet.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Oh...I thought you had a hole in the jacket not in the block.
    Burnham is now US Boiler in Lancaster. Maybe they can help. Otherwise if you can't find a section you'll need a new boiler.
    steve
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I'd start getting quotes on a new boiler. The cost to replace that segment, most likely won't be that far off from a new boiler, and you don't know how many other sections might be close to suffering the same fate. These things corrode from the inside out.

I don't think anyone that participates here does steam in that region.

It's important to get the right contractor to do this work, steam needs to be done correctly and a lot of contractors haven't a clue.

If you need help with anything we can do some things remotely, like sizing. If you are unsure about a contractor just ask for pictures of recent steam boiler installations and post them here, we can tell you if they know what's going on or not.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The cost and labor to replace a cast iron section on a 22 year old boiler, especially a Burnham, isn't worth the effort. Time for a new boiler. Hurry, its getting cold. Brrrr.
    If you're the original owner then US Boiler might give you a prorated warranty. But again, is it worth the aggravation? Because what will fail next?
  • MarkSmith412
    Thanks, I've got two quotes in the works.