Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

clouds exiting corroded pipe

I have a 1-pipe system that works great in all aspects, except that it has developed a somewhat significant leak under my crawl space, as a pipe has corroded through. I found this after I started up to test for the upcoming season, and figured I had a leak, since it was feeding back in way too much water. I cannot afford the fix right now, and was wondering if I can wrap it somehow this season and plan to get the repair next year. Is there a way to wrap it, and if so, what do I use? Don't really want to warp the floor above... thank you

Comments

• Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    They make pipe repair clamps, you need to know what size the pipe is, and understand that it is a temporary repair.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    To which I might add... plan on replacing the whole length of pipe involved. If it's corroded through in one place, it's going to corrode through in others, sooner or later.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    subaru400delta T
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    They are called saddle clamps. Be sure to order/buy one that has a rubber seat rated for steam.
  • subaru400
    subaru400 Member Posts: 33
    Thanks folks - very much appreciated, and I'm glad I have a possible option until next year. I think I may have found something that will work locally thanks to your info and proper terminology.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Be careful, that pipe could be corroded enough that it will collapse when you tighten the clamps so go easy when tightening them.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    subaru400
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    subaru400 said:

Thanks folks - very much appreciated, and I'm glad I have a possible option until next year. I think I may have found something that will work locally thanks to your info and proper terminology.

Before you get overly enamored with the repair clamp idea, note what @BobC said above. The way to fix this for any appreciable amount of time is to replace the pipe.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    subaru400
  • subaru400
    subaru400 Member Posts: 33
    JohnNY said:

subaru400 said:

Before you get overly enamored with the repair clamp idea, note what @BobC said above. The way to fix this for any appreciable amount of time is to replace the pipe.
    Thank you; I'm actually scheduled to have it repaired next Friday.