Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

can I tee off a single line radiator and pipe into the next room to heat two rooms

Options
Hi i am helping my son who has a steam one line system add heating to the next room on the attic floor from an existing radiator in the room right next to it. Is it possible to tee off the existing radiator just before the shutoff valve and connect a new radiator thru the wall into the next room. I do not know if this is possible or will we need a separate line to the new radiator?
the piping is copper and looks to be 1-1/4 inch tubing. any help will be very appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    Copper? Oh well. The best answer is "maybe". It depends on two things: the capacity of the lines to handle the EDR of the radiators, and the ability to get adequate pitch on all the lines. If the line is big enough (there are tables in The Lost Art for this) and if you can get enough pitch, with some fiddling with the vents you can do it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    BobC
  • tl2182647
    tl2182647 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Jamie
    thank you for your thoughts on adding on another radiator in the next room off an existing radiator. We are going to do as you suggested as a near-by neighbor also recommended a pitch so the steam can raise to the added radiator.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    tl2182647 said:

Hi Jamie
    thank you for your thoughts on adding on another radiator in the next room off an existing radiator. We are going to do as you suggested as a near-by neighbor also recommended a pitch so the steam can raise to the added radiator.

You don't need pitch for the steam to get in, you need pitch so that condensate can run out. Also, you never said what the size of the steam supply pipe is or what the EDR of the existing radiator and the new radiator are. The size of the supply pipe will determine if you have the capacity to supply both radiators.