Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat pipe sizing

Options
JBFBMech
JBFBMech Member Posts: 20
if I am running supply and return piping for something that requires 1” and it is tying into a boiler that only has 1/2” tappings, how can I still het the flow rate I need? I would think once you drop down to 1/2” you can only get however many GPM through that 1” pipe as you can get through the 1/2” pipe. Kind of like if you take a 4 lane highway, close it down to one lane, then open it back up to four lanes. You are only going to get as many cars through that can fit through the one lane section. I’m being told by an engineer to do something that seems to me like it can’t work. I know I’m probably wrong but I can’t understand how it can work.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    What boiler only has 1/2" tapping's?
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    pecmsg said:

What boiler only has 1/2" tapping's?

That's a good question.
    What about primary secondary piping?
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • JBFBMech
    Options
    It’s not a boiler it’s a tank. I was just trying to simplify the question. I didn’t want to get it to explaining the whole job. I just want to know how it is possible to reduce the size of the pipe where it ties in and get any more flow through the pipe than you would the smaller pipe size. It seems like if you run a 1” pipe that is tied into a 1/2” tapping then why not just run 1/2” it’s going to get restricted at the 1/2” tie in anyway.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    So you have a tank with 1/2" fittings.....

Is this tank designed for the application AKA ASME Stamped?
  • JBFBMech
    Options
    Thank you Ron.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    You stand a good chance of getting the flow rate in the 1/2" section in the area where noise and erosion become problems. You really should either increase your delta t so you an reduce your flow or find a tank with large enough tappings.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Either that or the larger size was just to keep the head matched to the pump and short 1/2" sections might not be a problem. Isn't there an idronics that explains this.