Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Equalizer size

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
I’m going to have a chance to install a eg - 55 w/m depending on what they want to spend I will go with the minimum piping or a drop header if I go with drop header I want to ( and you tell me if I’m saying this correctly).
Go up with my riser with 3 x 24 inch pipe. Then a 3 inch elbow, a close nipple then another 3 inch elbow. Come down between 4 or 6 inches. Then to the equalizer but I want to increase it to 4 or 5 inches but keep it tight. The reason for the increase is to slow the steam down. I know there is many ways to do it, but I figure to myself just the drop header is an upgrade as it is. Just an FYI one of the take off is 4 inches original someone put a reducer to 2 inches but I want to bring it back up to 4 inch original .

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Follow the boiler manufacturer's piping in the I & O manual
    EdwinD
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    If one of your steam main takeoffs is 4 inch, I'd go with a 4 inch drop header if you can convince your customer. If not, a 4 inch straight header. You'll get much better results. As for the equalizer -- just follow the WM recommendations, but remember to decrease in size on the vertical and make sure the header slopes down to the equalizer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Jamie, my fault I called the header the equalizer