Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam boiler

347 Member Posts: 143
Hello All,
I need to replace a leaking leaking steam boiler with a tankless coil for a customer. The tankless coil is supplying a radiant heating zone. I'm trying to find a replacement boiler that has a tankless coil The only one that I can find is a Weil McLain, the customers does not want a WM. Does anyone know of another brand?
I'm trying to keep the cost down and just reconnect the coil to the radiant.
If I can't find one I'm thinking about installing an "Ever hot" external tankless coil. Any other ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Check out slant fin I believe they still have a gas fire available
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • What’s wrong with Weil?
    No doubt there is some bad piping in this system which needs to be corrected, as there are no bad boilers-only bad installations!
    You may not need a tankless coil for a radiant zone. Do a search here for some advice on that.—NBC
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    is this gas or oil? If oil look at the megasteam..just plan for the head loss in the coil..
    Thanks for the replies. The customer would prefer not to have a WM due to the fact that I one he has is leaking.
    It is natural gas.

NBC, The boiler install in not the worst I've ever come across. It seems like the rear section is leaking, not sure if it's leaking from the gaskets between the section or the iron.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Slantfin. From my experience, the slantfins have a considerably shorter lifespan then the WM's.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited September 2019
    Maybe Peerless would be better with its gasketless design?
    Has the present boiler been using much water before the leak?—NBC
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Weil McClains can, and do, leak at the gaskets -- but if, and only if, either someone assembled it poorly (twisted o-ring, too much or too little torque on the tie bolts) or if they are piped incorrectly (no swing joints on the header). They are good boilers.

It's a little like saying I'll never buy a Ford because the one I had last time got a flat tire.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Jamie, I do agree with you regarding Weil's when they fail in the first 15 years or so. However, those gaskets will naturally dry out with time. They are neoprene plastics, I believe, similar to the gaskets used with circulator flanges and I've seen those leak with age too. With the LGB's, about 27 years seems to be about the longest you'll get with steamers at least. I've seen alot of early pre gasket weil steamers still going after 40 years and have other push nipple type boilers pushing 40 to 50 years with simple water treatment keeping the internals nice and clean and the stack temps down.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    NBC, I don't know if was taking on water before the leak. I was called in because the homeowner notice he had to fill the boiler more often then before. I flood tested and that is when I found the leak coming from the boiler. The wet returns are all above ground and are copper. I did not see any signs of water leaking from them.
    I'll take a look at the Slant/Fin but it looks like it will be a WM again. I dropping from a EG 65 to a 50. By my calculations the connected load is 405 feet of radiation.

Thanks again