Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Disinfection Methods and Their Effects on Plastic Piping Systems

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
edited August 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
I just watched this webinar. It's an eye-opener, especially the second-half.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    I didn’t watch the webinar but always have lingering thoughts about pex and plastic tube andthe fact that none have any hyper allogenic qualities that even some of the lesser noble metals have which plastic do not contain .aside from sun light and uv rays being able to penatrate and have there way with any bacterial organism present to either help or hinder growth in them unlike copper .But as all things are everybody wants cheap and fast and pex fitting the bill but at what cost who knows time will only tell .As time goes on I find myself using less and less pex at least on my own work ,even w o2 barrier I see o2 ingression into systems w build up of iron oxide and mud from public water systems which I feel shouldn’t be completly to blame .if and when I use pex it s low temp and hi temp is pex al pex and I feel there s far less 02 egression w pex al pex over regular o2 barrier stuff but that’s me ,Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Tough to keep O2 out, even in metal piped systems. Valve packings, pump seals, etc. Old cast iron, steel piped systems corroded :)
    Certainly pex, even O2 barrier pex allows some O2 ingress. Higher operating temperatures= more potential O2 ingress..

Hydronic conditioners have some oxygen scavenger as one of the ingredients. It may need to be boosted from time to time depending on O2 ingress. I advise a hydronic cleaner, then conditioner on all systems. some aluminum boilers ship with a quart of conditioner.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream