Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Fresh Air Vent Question

One of my colleagues is doing a project in a historic warehouse/loft type building in the upper midwest which was a commercial bakery. There are what appear to be scuppers under (or above depending on your perspective) the windows which I postulate were for a fresh air intake for a long removed steam system - does anybody have a name for such a system (or link to a patent/brochure)? My assumption it was a fresh air intake where the fresh air was directly heated by a radiator to not chill the building - I would guess that a lot of air went up the oven flues.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Might an indirect radiator heat system.

Search the system resource section of the main site.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    My high school building section from 1920's has closed up openings on the outside wall. I see from an old picture that these were louvered air inlets. They were just under the CI rads inside. The inside inlet has long been closed up also.
    This was after the 1918 flu pandemic and abundant fresh air was thought to be a necessity ....even though each room had single pane double hung windows that were the size of garage doors.
    Exterior walls are solid brick....now framed out and insulated inside.
    Fresh air inlets.....make up air .....an indirect heating system without ductwork....etc.
    Even the store room/closets 6' wide had a CI rad.
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 354
    So apparently a source at the building (I'm not really able to post a photo, unfortunately) says that they might have been used for sweeping the floors and shooing used flour, etc, directly outside...
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078

So apparently a source at the building (I'm not really able to post a photo, unfortunately) says that they might have been used for sweeping the floors and shooing used flour, etc, directly outside...

That sounds far fetched :D
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 354
    I kinda thought so as well.