Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Steam Boiler Install - Re: Recommendations on Hot Water Setup

I'm going to be having a new megasteam boiler installed and I'm trying to decide what to do about hot water. Do i get the boiler with the coil, use a tank with it, or just have a separate water heater.

The existing system has the coil. However, i had a water heater install about 3 years ago so i could shut the boiler off completely in the summertime. Also, thinking it might take some of the load off it and maybe squeeze a couple more years out of it.

Anyway, I'm ready to do the new install and was wondering what peoples opinion was on the best setup.

One more note: When they installed the water heater, i had them install it on the other side of the house, closer to where all the plumbing is located (kitchen/bathroom) our boiler is located just about as far away as you could get it from the plumbing, but that's where the chimney is located.

Thanks in advance, Steve

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,701
    If you already have a freestanding water heater in a place that is advantageous, then why would you consider using the hot water coil?

You used too many pronouns when you were talking about taking a load off of "it" and prolonging the life of "it" so I'm not sure which things you are talking about there.

Setting aside those questions, I always tell people to use a freestanding water heater because:

- I don't like my potable water circulating through boiler water within a coil that is prone to developing leaks
    - The water coil panel itself is prone to leaks and when it does, it can be a real nasty repair
    - I don't want to run my boiler in the summer
    - The hot water coil always seems to have trouble delivering enough hot water, and it requires another control on the boiler (aquastat), increasing complexity of the system.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Intplm.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    What type of water heater do you have? Gas, oil, electric? Does it do a sufficient job of heating your domestic?

It's easy to use a coil in the boiler to pre-heat the water before it goes into the tank and have a lot more hot water and maybe better efficiency.

More info is needed.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Steve_in_NH
    Steve_in_NH Member Posts: 70
    The water heater is an electric with heat pump, GE Brand. Got a rebate from the state on the install. It does the job. Only complaint is sometimes if in the shower if someone turns on the hot water in the kitchen you get a cold burst in the shower.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Useing a coil in you're boiler would depend upon a couple of things:
    1. The cost of oil vs. electricity.
    2. Do you need more hot water?

The cold burst is not a water heater problem. Most likely it's in your diverter.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Is your shower valve of the pressure balancing type?
    That will take care of the hot and cold flashes.

I looked at your pictures from previous postings, could you post new shots that show all the boiler piping from floor to ceiling?

The old views were too close for study.
    There were some obvious problems.
    Old piping on an old boiler may not work on a new boiler.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    Get the coil with the MegaSteam but don't use it. It'll be there down the road if you need it. It can also be piped to a storage tank and used as an Aquabooster.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    If you get the coil you can feed the electric hot water with it, during the cold months it should cut the electric bill by a fair amount. If you shut the power to the boiler off during the warm months the boiler won't run and you will save on the oil bill.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge