Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking For A Steam Pro in S.W. Michigan

ksd99
ksd99 Member Posts: 77
I got thru last winter learning and asking questions, but boy I would rather get someone to do the fall maintenance - anybody know of a real pro. There is no contractor listed in my area. ☹️
New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.

Comments

• kevinj_4
    kevinj_4 Member Posts: 91
    SW Mich is a big place, maybe list a city?
  • ksd99
    Sorry- Battle Creek/Marshall area
    New owner of 1 Pipe Steam Boiler - learning all I can- no real steam pro in S.W. Michigan - if you know of 1 -let me know.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    For whatever reason, Michigan is a tough state to find a Steam Pro.
    ksd99
  • ksd99
    I agree Fred.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Seems to me that I remember this coming up before -- not you, @ksd99 , but someone... and coming up with pretty well no one. Don't know why.. However... that gives you the opportunity to become the top steam pro in your area!

Ask more questions. What is it you need to do? The annual maintenance of the boiler -- clean and adjust -- can be done by a good heating pro. moderately familiar with the particular equipment -- particularly the burner and controls and their adjustments. There must be someone around who can do that. They need to brush down the fire side passages and vacuum up the crud, and if this is oil, replace the nozzle and filter, and in any case ensure that the combustion is right -- which means they have to have the right test equipment and know how to use it.

Other than that, there isn't much fall maintenance needed as such, though it's always a good idea to check the low water cutoff(s) and pressure control(s).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • ksd99
    Thanks Jamie, yep you and Fred helped me a lot last winter, glad your still around.
  • kevinj_4
    ksd99 said:

Sorry- Battle Creek/Marshall area

You might try Kentwood Plumbing & Heating....not sure if they go that far from Grand Rapids

I am assuming residential???
  • ksd99
    Yes residential.
  • ksd99
    Kevinj_4 thanks for the name, i reached out to them but I out of their service area.
  • kevinj_4
    ksd99 said:

Kevinj_4 thanks for the name, i reached out to them but I out of their service area.

That is too bad, Paul is is a good steam guy.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Ask around the wholesalers near you for some names of knowledgeable pros. Maybe one who is recently retired would be willing to help out.—NBC
    P1385
  • ksd99
    Thank you for the idea.
    P1385
  • P1385
    P1385 Member Posts: 20

Ask around the wholesalers near you for some names of knowledgeable pros. Maybe one who is recently retired would be willing to help out.—NBC

ksd99, I work for the local Armstrong rep in Michigan, Merlo Energy, and we have a couple of guys who are experts on steam. They deal with it every day, albeit at an industrial level.

They wouldn't do any service but might be willing to swing by and help determine the cause of whatever issues might be going on, or at least might know of someone they could recommend for service. I'll PM you with their contact info.
  • ksd99
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, I tried all the leads, either I’m too far or they do not do residential. I had the HVAC company out that has been servicing the boiler for the prior owners of the house, the did clean the burners, at least that got done. I am thankful for this site and all that I’ve learned.