Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Polymer pex crimp adapters [large]

archibald tuttle
archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
OK, so we got all this nice pex tooling running up to 2" but nobody seems to make polymer male (or female) adapters over 1" at least my first run through and with the difficulty of trying to tell the internet i'm looking for 1 and 1/4". Viega makes no polymer regardless of size. I have on the shelf ones running to 1" from various other supplies but can't find the bigger ones. Anyone run across any in this range, thanks.

This is pool piping in PVC I'm joing up to and i'm just looking for trouble not staying plastic.

thanks

Brian

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    I think it would need to be a very thick walled composite fitting to work on those larger sizes
    Notice how thick the wall on large 2” and up pex tube
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • archibald tuttle
    @hot_rod ya might think that there was a little structural problem with them being that big, but they have pex press polymer tees for 1 1/4, 1 1/2 and 2 e.g. Viega 49997. 49998, 49590 so it is possible to make pex press polymer in those sizes.

I don't have the ID specs but I expect you would get a short chokepoint. but i can't figure out why they don't make polymer adapters, which seems to me to be what anyone would want to use when joining to other plastic threads, like various pool and water softener work . . .

brian
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,019
    maybe the threaded end is more the concern?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Ironman
  • archibald tuttle
    edited July 2019
    they're available up to 1". I just think it is one of those interminable chicken and egg problems of commerce. there are none, so nobody buys 'em so they don't make 'em . . . .
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-PXLM100-1-Poly-PEX-Crimp-x-1-NPT-Male-Adapter?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1MXpBRDjARIsAHtdN-35v94g2DXSFs8H73rCQt2e9Qnp6gsqcQOLkg68rtC3zn8mmbwf51waAlL4EALw_wcB

This was true of propress stops for a long time, you could not get a sink stop in propress. the initial tools were big and probably not a lot of call for working under small vanities or crowded sink cabinets with those but i would have used them from the get go and now with the smaller tools its finally a no brainer and they are just starting to be found.

this is kind of the reverse problem, more use in the smaller sizes in polymer. of course more use of any kind of fitting in smaller sizes although i think as propress catches and folks expand their jaw collections to allow for pressing larger pex, this would be no brainer for pools, water softeners, pumps, i.e. large applications where plastic and plastic threads are ubiquitous.

I'm just out there trolling to see if any company has figured this out yet . . . spears would be obvious leader in plastic fittings but they, ironically, don't do pex that i'm aware of. And i realize, they make a factory crimped glue to pex transition, but of course, largest available is 1", whereas they make threaded PVC fittings up to 2" and probably beyond.

There just seems to be this constant tension between being the line that has 'everything' and wanting to keep the number of skus down.