Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion tank research

Jeff Perry_3
Jeff Perry_3 Member Posts: 99
Doing some research...… do any of you work in communities that have adopted the requirement that all expansion tanks must be supported other than by hanging from a pipe? And if so where are you? We're beginning to see it in spots in Virginia.

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Its in the IRC 2018. Colorado requires it
  • Jeff Perry_3
    As I'm sure you know not all areas of the country, or states, adopt codes the same. You say Colorado requires it in the 2018 book but a lot of areas are still working off older books. That's why I'm curious as to who is seeing this specific code adopted and whether it's in the actual book they are working out of or whether it's not in the state's current book but they have decided to implement it anyway.

Thanks
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Code or no, it's not a bad idea...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JohnNYCanuckerZman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    To my knowledge, they are not required by code in the Chicago area. I wish they were.
    Steve Minnich
  • I searched the 2009 Uniform Plumbing Code and couldn't find a stitch about expansion tanks.

I believe they update the code every 3 years, but I don't have any newer ones.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jeff Perry_3
    We're working off 2015 in my area.