Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reflective insulation behind steam radiators

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited July 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Reflective insulation behind steam radiators

Reflective insulation behind radiators makes steam-heating systems more efficient.

Read the full story here

Hydronicolic

Comments

• innkeeper
    innkeeper Member Posts: 4
    Tey also prevent uninsulated plaster walls from blistering due to condensation.
    Intplm.
  • Stuart Rogers
    Stuart Rogers Member Posts: 49
    My 4-storey brick apartment building was built in 1925 and is heated by steam. Ten years ago I did a test with Novitherm panels behind one rad in my own apartment. Infrared measurements showed an approx. increase in the maximum temperature of the rad cabinet grill of 17 deg. F. We had to lower the thermostat on that rad to be comfortable in the room thereafter (and that was with panels installed behind only the top half of the rad!). I convinced the board to install the panels throughout the building. The panels have more than paid for themselves in lower gas bills over the decade. (If you'd like a copy of my report to the board, let me know.)
  • Hydronicolic
    Hydronicolic Member Posts: 16
    I did the same thing on the back of my baseboard element. I spoke to an application engineer at TVM years ago. He told me as long as you have an air space even plain Reynolds Wrap on a sidewall has an "Equivalent" R-Value of approx. R-7. I tested that claim with an infrared thermometer and it held true. Who knew.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    I put some Reflectix behind a couple radiators when I first moved Doesn’t really look all that great, but I suspect it helps quite a bit. Especially with solid brick exterior walls with just a 1” air gap between the interior course and the exterior course and face brick.