Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

100 years from now...

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
I’m sure Dan had pipefitters and boilermakers in mind when he came up with his iconic saying. But this simple coat rack applies in my mind.

I was inspecting a steam boiler replacement at a church built in 1917 when the pastor gave me a tour of the building. This coat rack is 102 years old and just beautiful.
Steve Minnich
Erin Holohan HaskellMikeL_2

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, @Steve Minnich
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Tinman
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    All aspects of the workmanship of the day are great. What will be said about ours in 2119 I wonder ?
  • Tinman
    There’s still a lot of tradespeople who care, who have integrity. Sadly, most just rip and run for the money.
    Steve Minnich
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Just think about where we were as a country when that coat rack was built. Bi planes, horses in the streets, cars with wood spoke wheels.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Solid_Fuel_Mandelta TKeenGreen
  • SV9_9
    SV9_9 Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2019
    deleted
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    The difference is the jobs put in today won't last 100 years. I don't thing anybody is going to say, "gee look at the pex they used back then"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    There’s a very old umbrella rack (with keys) outside our Assembly Room at The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen. I’ll show it to you at Wetstock. It’s a work of art.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    I would love going back in time to see how they installed the boilers without the tools we have today. I would like visiting the job sites and talk with the installers.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Intplm.SeanBeansKeenGreen
  • Tinman
    Me too. The guys were smaller than us back then and doing work that demanded a lot more physicality.
    Steve Minnich
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @RayWohlfarth & @Steve Minnich

I agree think about that often. I have been told that a lot of the threaded pipe they did 8, 10, 12" was all measured in the field and cut and threaded at the shop.

I don't think they had much portable equipment and if they did most places may not have had electricity in 1900. They used to pull strings wherever they wanted a pipe and measured it all.
    Haul it to the job with horse and wagon

The place I started at in 73 my boss told me they threaded all the 'small stuff" 2' and under by had the owner was too cheap to buy a threading machine and this was in the 40s
  • RayWohlfarth
    @Steve Minnich They were a tough group.
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Can you imagine life back then? How did they tighten 10 or 12" pipe? Their knuckles must have dragged on the ground LOL
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    If you could fit up 12" pipe by hand, I don't think it would be your knuckles that would be dragging on the ground.

Pipefitters and Masons are the only trades I don't get too mouthy with.

CanuckerSolid_Fuel_Man
  • RayWohlfarth
    LOL Good point
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I recently came across someone on youtube who is going back in time and using nothing but handtools to make his home and workshop. As in, cutting trees, hewing timbers, planing and truing stock with hand tools, etc....

It is mesmerizing to watch, awesome video production too. No talking, no music, no nonsense, just a guy making things by hand. I bet a lot of you would dig it.

The channel is called Mr. Chickadee, I recommend the Roubu Workbench video highly, though all of his videos are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAEbklxJME

Nice to see craftsmanship surviving in this day and age!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    My goodness you can see why people weren't fat back then. Only rich people were because they paid people to make stuff for them.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    delta T