Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dan Holohan The Art of Steam Heat Seminar

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited July 2019 in THE MAIN WALL

Dan Holohan The Art of Steam Heat Seminar

Dan Holohan speaks about the history and evolution of steam heating and its impact on New York City at The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen.

Read the full story here

MikeL_2

Comments

• Kimo
    Kimo Member Posts: 3
    Great talk. Great site.
    I examined the mechanical systems of 1/4 of the school district of Philly in 2015, when my company was hired to assess their real estate. I met old engineers who shoveled coal. All the buildings were converted to oil or gas. (There were still #5 oil tanks abandoned in place and some coal bunkers still had a pile of coal in the corner.)
    The building design made a big shift circa 1930 from house fans and air washers for ventilation to unit vents in each classroom. I asked one engineer if he ever ran his original 1925 air handler. He said in the winter when teachers are calling to complain that it's too cold in their class room, he turns it on and 15 minutes later they're calling back to say it's too hot. He hit the starter button for the motor and this enormous 20 HP, 2 phase motor, 8 pole growled slowly to life. He hit the starter again and it got going, and when it was finally up to full speed it was like a tornado in that mechanical room there was so much air moving through it.
    The heating systems have all been modernized (often badly) into two pipe steam systems with traps and feed pumps. In my opinion, the best thing the school district can do is to improve the education of their building engineers. After that, maintain their traps more frequently and install thermostatic supply valves.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Well said, @Kimo. Thanks for the fine story.
    Retired and loving it.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    I love it Kimo, especially the part about the original air handler still doing its job and the modern unit, not so well..lol
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.