Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which came first: Steam or hot-water heating?

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited June 2019 in THE MAIN WALL

Which came first: Steam or hot-water heating?

A conversation between Dan Holohan and Mr. Alfred G. King.

Read the full story here

Comments

• scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    Options
    Any one have an idea of where the oldest commercial or residential boiler still in use might be????
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @scott w.

If my memory is correct one of the boiler MFG. had a contest a few years ago (10?) to find their oldest boiler. I think it was HB Smith and the boiler was like 1870s
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Ah... Roman villas in cooler climates, like Britain, had gravity hot air... >:)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hmmm, One of the "niceties" of the hypocaust was that you owned slaves, whose job was to stoke the fire and also crawl around and clean soot from the interstices of the under floor airways. I've long wondered how they could see what they were doing. :o In Turkey, they had hypocausts dating to 350 BC. It was the first central heating o:)

Yours, Larry
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,247
    Options
    Toronto had HHW before first World War but some builders were still opting for steam in the fifties and sixties. The reasons for which was chosen are lost in time. Maybe Dunham insisted on being paid for traps on new projects while Armstrong gave away pumps in anticipation of selling replacement pumps,couplings,and motors?