Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring 120v zone valves.

drooplug
drooplug Member Posts: 26
I'm installing a new system with a controller that uses 120v zone valves. I was curious about how you guys wire these up. With 24v, you can just wire nuts connections and not worry. But with 120v, you need to have them enclosed. The wire leads on the 120v zone valves aren't very long, so what do you do with the connections? Run the leads to a nearby junction box for connections to wires that go all the way back to the controller?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Who makes 120Volt zone valves?

Seems like the electrical requirements would outweigh the extra cost of 24volt!
  • drooplug
    Honeywell, Caleffi, Erie, probably others.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    pecmsg said:

Line voltage are common in OEM applications, air handlers heat pumps, etc. Also commercial piping applications.
    Caleffi has 120, 208, 230 & 277VAC available.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    drooplug said:

I'm installing a new system with a controller that uses 120v zone valves. I was curious about how you guys wire these up. With 24v, you can just wire nuts connections and not worry. But with 120v, you need to have them enclosed. The wire leads on the 120v zone valves aren't very long, so what do you do with the connections? Run the leads to a nearby junction box for connections to wires that go all the way back to the controller?

Usually the conduit, electrical flex or sealtite terminates at the ZV. They mostly have 1/2" KOs.
    Caleffi Z-one valves carry UL 873 and also plenum & duct UL 1995 sec. 18 ratings.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    hot_rod said:

pecmsg said:

Line voltage are common in OEM applications, air handlers heat pumps, etc. Also commercial piping applications.
    Caleffi has 120, 208, 230 & 277VAC available.
    I ASSUMED residential...………...My Bad!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Just run "Greenfield" (flexible metallic conduit) to the valve. As HR said it will have a 1/2" knock out plug for this purpose. I've installed many line voltage zone valves. Especially nice for unit heaters, eliminates the need for an aquastat and 24v xfmr. Just use a line volt t-stat to run both the fan and ZV.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • drooplug
    Ok. Thanks guys. When I was looking at the Honeywell, it just didn't seem like it accepted a cable clamp. You guys helped clear things up for me.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If the valves are 120volt there is a way to wire them legally. Worse case scenario put a chase nipple inside the valve housing and mount a threaded LB or C fitting on the chase nipple. The leads will be long enough to splice in the added fitting. But I am sure you wouldn't have to go to that extreme