Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

5/8 pex-al-pex ...really?

HydroNiCK
HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
After trying to figure out the different combinations of press tools and fittings (thanks for your help Ironman Bob and others) I began looking for pap to buy. I want 5/8 based on what people recommended here do to 3/4 being tough to work with. I see that uponor discontinued their PAP, Mr. Pex products are hard to get, fostapex is not proper pex-al-pex..Why is PAP hard to come by especially in 5/8? 5/8 MLC fittings are sparse. How do you work with 5/8 ? Ive had to hunt everything down.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    We use Roth pex-al-pex. RE Michel carries it and the fittings. They have a manual press tool or you can get the pressing tongs from REMS. They are rep'd by Teal Corp. in Apple Valley MN.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    HydroNiCK
  • HydroNiCK
    > @hot_rod said:
    > I think 5/8 tube in general is a less common size and harder to source.

I believe it......Up until now based on the suggestions here I thought 5/8 was plentiful smooth sailing straight run two feet of head easy peezy pipin' down easy street....If you find it
  • HydroNiCK
    Speaking of which...do you think the low supply and high cost may be attributed to our trade war with China? Or is PAP in general not used enough to be profitable. If many here use 5/8 over 3/4 I cant imagine why it isnt more popular and available
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    There is nothing wrong with Viega Fostapex
    Viega fostapex is as far as I know a full size pex tubing with aluminum barrier that works as the oxygen barrier and helps keep the tubing from drooping all over the place and helps the tubing from growing in length when hot boiler water is run through the tubing. As far as I know Viega has fostapex in 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4” and 1”
    Viega fostapex is not a hard tubing to work with.
    Comes in 150’ rolls or 20’ lengths.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    HydroNiCK said:

Speaking of which...do you think the low supply and high cost may be attributed to our trade war with China? Or is PAP in general not used enough to be profitable. If many here use 5/8 over 3/4 I cant imagine why it isnt more popular and available

I don't think PAP is all that common. It seems shoppers are moving towards Pert or less expensive, hydronic specific tube.

There are places where PAP have some advantages, but it has never been the mainstay tube.

I doubt the trade war is having much effect, over 3000 tariff waivers have been issued by the Commerce Dept. One Chicago company has received 400 waivers to import up to 600 millions lbs of tariff- free aluminum, including from China. Greenfield in South Carolina has won 1000 exclusions from the steel tariff, and they are owned by a Chinese company??
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Back in the day I used a ton of Weil’s 5/8” Alumi-Pex for home run systems. Haven’t seen any 5/8” for a while.
    Steve Minnich