Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Got a tool tip? You may win a Kinetic Water Ram from General Pipe Cleaners

Options
Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
Once on a job for a given length of time, we all come up with little ways to simplify our work, making it easier to perform. This is especially true in the trades. Maybe you have a way of dislodging wood plugs from a hole saw, a method of fixing a leak in a tight space, or even a technique for descaling manifolds. If you have an idea that has saved you time and money, Plumbing & Mechanical would like to share your tip with their readers. Submit your Tool Tip here. The first-place winner will receive a Kinetic Water Ram from General Pipe Cleaners with a retail value of $325.
President
HeatingHelp.com

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    With all the stories in this place, I'm sensing a winner. Bring it home, Wallies!
    Retired and loving it.
    HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Spray adhesive and duct tape.
    I win!
    JohnNYErin Holohan Haskelldelta T
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    OK, I've got one. Here is a photo of a simple tool I made to make working on water heaters a bit easier. This is a solid 3/4" steel rod with a small crossbar welded on top. It slips (or pounds) down into the pipe nipple that doesn't want to come out on top of the heater I'm working on. With this in place, the nipple is not collapsed by the wrench, so it doesn't tear off and leave a steel ring in the threads of the tank. I've heard of using easy out's and such, but this has never failed me.

Yours, Larry
    ratioGroundUprick in Alaskadelta T
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    Great one @Larry Weingarten. To be in the contest, please submit it through that link in Erin’s post above. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Hello, Here is another tool for you. This is a simple saw, made from a Sawzall blade, some 3/4" threaded fiberglass rod and a hose clamp. Because of the threads on the rod, it absolutely will not slip in your hand and using a blade stronger than the normal hacksaw blade makes it hold up better to serious usage.

I've submitted both ideas so that we can "bring it home"!

Yours, Larry
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    I use one of the thousand plastic syringes I have from my daughters medicines (Tylenol, Motrin, etc.) to fill pigtails.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Options
    Hello, Here's another idea. This is reusing a broken pair of pliers. I took the broken tool and ground it down to make a nail set, which is much easier to use than a normal one. Also it puts your hand and fingers well out of the way of the hammer and works in tighter spaces then the traditional approach.

Yours, Larry

ethicalpaul
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My tip to add is when working in the attic and it's too hot to work up there . I carry a cheap sweeping Sprinker and place it on the part of the roof we will be working ... Turns that roof from radiant heat to radiant cool ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    HVACNUT
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    @Big Ed_4 I always use to do that too. Then one day in the early 90's, we did it on a light colored roof. The next morning the roof was covered in rust stains. My guys did a lot of scrubbing that morning.
    Steve Minnich
    HVACNUT
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Where did the rust come from ? You may need to add a filter in your area, You can sell them a whole house filter ,I am sure the driveway and steps get stain as well if rust coming from the main water. Also flush your hose from the truck . It tends to bring your job to the next ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Options
    Well the golf balls didn't get first place, but did get second. Hopefully one of the other wallies can bring it home!
    Good luck!
    Dennis