Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water line

Options
upstateben
upstateben Member Posts: 33
Hello, I'm installing a steam boiler in a pit with gravity return and the old boilers waterline was 7 inches higher than the new boiler going in. The new boilers waterline is still higher than the wet returns running in the basement outside of the pit. My question is if there a certain number of inches the water line should be above the wet returns to prevent any problems. Thanks Ben

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Noooo… There isn't, really. However, it is good practice to place the boiler so that the low water cutoff elevation -- not the water line -- is above the highest point on any of the wet returns -- preferably several inches higher (two or three). Don't just look at the wet returns at the boiler. Go out in the system, and find every drip on every wet return, right out to the end, and make sure that your new water line is higher. Don't depend on your eye -- use an accurate level -- I have been known to use a surveyor's level -- to make sure.

Better yet -- is there a very good reason why you can't raise the new boiler on concrete blocks so that the water line matches the old one?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    What @Jamie Hall said.

Concrete blocks are cheap. Why take a chance. I would like the bottom gage glass tapping above the top of the highest pipe to be sure
  • Ed N.Y.C.
    Ed N.Y.C. Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Before u add or subtract blocks,make sure u have dimention A ed n.y.c.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Ed N.Y.C. said:

Before u add or subtract blocks,make sure u have dimention A ed n.y.c.

Except the water line is far more critical -- inadequate A or B dimensions can be managed by managing pressure. A low water line can't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England