Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Register / Duct Window Placement Best Practice?

jeffceo
jeffceo Member Posts: 27
Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any official source stating that registers ideally should be located under or above windows? I know this is not necessarily building code in some areas but it is the best practice as far as I know. thank you

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    For heating it should be under the locations with the highest heat loss so that means windows and doors because they loose more than walls. The more registers you have the better. More smaller ones are better than a few large ones but you should take throw and room dimensions into consideration.

Not code as far as I know. You do the best you can
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    I went from one company who would put the register 12” off the wall on the ceiling, middle of window. every time.

I went to the next company and they laughed at me for trying to fit inside there eves to get the runs 12 inches from the ceiling, middle of window.

They told me just go over the door

Jokes on them?
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 393
    jeffceo said:

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have any official source stating that registers ideally should be located under or above windows? I know this is not necessarily building code in some areas but it is the best practice as far as I know. thank you

I know of no such source, but it makes sense to heat people on their coldest side which will be the side facing a cold window where heat loss due to radiation is high.

The key thing is to use enough registers spaced equally to keep airflow rates below 30 fpm. Personally, I would shoot for 20 if the situation allows. That will nearly eliminate complaints about both drafts and noise.

This article is long and detailed, but the first two pages have most of what you need to know.

https://www.titus-hvac.com/file/7561/diffusers eng_guidelines2013.pdf
    ratio