Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water heater

MikeJ
MikeJ Member Posts: 103
Was at this house yesterday working on the furnace. She just had a water heater installed by a painter/handyman.
Shut off the water heater and the gas, told her not to use it till you get a license plumber out here. Old water heater was a power draft. Very dangerous
Voyager

Comments

• Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    I keep picturing the guy saying "that aint goin' no wheres" after putting on the clamp
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2019
    Being a techie and able to do it right I always thought city inspectors were just money grabbing profit center for the city. Now I see why they exist.

Problem is they can't stop this guy, it happened.
  • kevinj_4
    kevinj_4 Member Posts: 91
    That gas line would not pass here.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    What's wrong with that? Looks fine to me.

Some people belong in jail.
    Lucky the place has not burned to the ground
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    She is entitled to a full refund and apply that money towards someone who will do it correctly.

And some people get mad about codes and inspectors.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • HotanCool
    HotanCool Member Posts: 55
    Nice sharkbite water connectior! :o
  • HotanCool
    HotanCool Member Posts: 55
    MikeJ said:

Was at this house yesterday working on the furnace. She just had a water heater installed by a painter/handyman.
    Shut off the water heater and the gas, told her not to use it till you get a license plumber out here. Old water heater was a power draft. Very dangerous

Did it draft At all?
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Were his initials RTH? He was so proud he signed it
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    manslaughter by proxy !
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Would have been better off not connecting the flue at all. I still see a few water heaters sitting in a corner of a basement running without a flue connector at all.

The thought that someone actually connected PVC to that thing is beyond scary, likely no draught saved the PVC from melting altogether.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • MikeJ
    MikeJ Member Posts: 103
    The reason we got the service call for the furnace, this same guy also installed a Nest stat, she went to use the furnace and the furnace would not come on, he had wire the stat up wrong.

Its a good thing he did wire it up wrong,

Nice one flat_twin

Not sure if it was drafting did not check, flue runs to the roof.
    3 story condo

Water heater is in a room in the garage, so yes better off leaving it unhooked.

• mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    The killer now is all the PVC has to be replaced... or should be... all 3 stories of it.
  • Intplm.
    Sure would like to know what the end result of all this will be.
  • mikeg2015
    edited April 2019
    Intplm. said:

Usually its to install an electric heater if there’s an breaker panel nearby. Probably use 14ga on a 30A circuit for that too.

Solid_Fuel_Manforesthillsjd
  • Intplm.
    Oh....I hope you are joking within the vein of the conversation.
    I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know what they are doing to read that🙄 and put number 14 wire on a 30amp breaker .
    mikeg2015 said:

Intplm. said:

Usually its to install an electric heater if there’s an breaker panel nearby. Probably use 14ga on a 30A circuit for that too.

• mikeg2015
    Yes... it was meant that just like the plastic pipe for a atmospheric WH here, there are probably several units out there with 30A breakers and undersized 14ga NM-B wire instead of 10 gauge.

Replaced a furnace last week and found 30AMP single pole on 12 gauge. Worse, the furnace calls for 15A Max fuse to protect it’s internal wiring. You can use a fused switch at the unit or just a regular light switch but change the breaker. Breaker costs $6. Easy to swap out. (Pssst.... dont tell anyone though, I’m not a master electrician.)
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Have walked several jobs with building inspectors, I always take the position that they are on site to help me, never have much of a problem that way.
    Consultants?............... now that is a different story.
    ratioSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Consulting.... yeah
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    rabbitsfoot