Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

RH / LH Steam Valve replacement options?

StuckWithSteam
StuckWithSteam Member Posts: 1
edited March 2019 in Strictly Steam
I have two apartments which became vacant recently. Each of those units has two steam radiators each. Each unit have radiators with a normal 1" angle valve and either a 1" RH (right-hand) or 1" LH (left-hand) steam valve. Since all are seized, or do not seal upon turning it shut, I would like to replace them all. The angle valve replacement is no problem as I've have already done a few replacements already but the RH/LH ones have me stumped as new replacements seem only available rarely on ebay. I would like to reach out to the community for suggestions/options for replacement!

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited March 2019
    I would just remove that last elbow as well and put a regular valve and angle it in. You could even use a convector valve if you’d like and the handle would be off to the side then.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    What is the intent of turning the radiators off? Turning the vents upside down will accomplish the same result.
    Those valves could probably be fixed up instead of replacing them. On one pipe systems, the valves should never be turned off, as even new ones will allow a little bit of steam in, which will gradually fill the radiator with undrained condensate.
    As you must know by now, the spud of the old valve will not seal against the union faces of a replacement valve, and so the spud must be changed as well-a real pain!--NBC
    luketheplumber
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited March 2019
    @nicholas bonham-carter, while I’m not disagreeing with your suggestions, a closed new valve will not allow steam to enter the radiator.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Yes, but at what cost in time and materials, when the same result is obtainable by more simple means.--NBC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    There is a slight difference in elevation between the inlet and outlet of the valve.

Me, I would put a straight valve in and add another elbow. The swing joints you would have will keep the pitch as it should be.

If you can't move the radiator a few inches to fit this in you could cut back the horizontal long pc.
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    i would recommend taking them apart, replace the washers, repack and put them back together. replacing radiator valves can be a pain in the ****.
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Shame the valves are not working any longer.

Go ahead and move the radiators away from the piping. Install and pipe some strate valves as @EBEBRATT-Ed says above.This should get your place ready for new renters sooner than later. That's what is needed? Getting the place rented again?
    If you have installed them before, as you say. This should be the fastest and most economical.
    It will take a bit more work than what you have done in the past. Cutting pipe and adapting the the rad. But with the right tools you should be able to do it.

And like I said, it's a shame the valves are not working any longer. They look great with those radiators.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    When you have put on the new valves, remove the handles so your tenants cannot turn the valves off, and cause you more problems.—NBC
    Intplm.