Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

over pressure ruptured radiator valve

paul77
paul77 Member Posts: 10
I have a Burnham Independence IN4 that has a flicky Honeywell Presstrol since it was installed. Every year I would have to adjust the adjustment screw a little or it will not cutoff. This year the Presstrol failed and the pressure was so high the it ruptured one of the radiator value, see picture. The 0 - 30 PSI gauge is damage and it is no longer accurate and the relief valve failed to go off.

Some one please recommend a reliable Presstrol.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    How about recommending a reliable pressure relief valve? That wouldn't have saved the vent -- most vents aren't designed or intended to take more than 3 to 5 psi working -- but if your pressure relief valve didn't open you were sitting on a bomb.

The standard Honeywell Pressuretrols are very reliable (if not always all that accurate) -- though I do advocate having two even on a residential system, on separate pigtails.

For the future: if your pressuretrol fails to cut off, find out why. It is a safety device. There are a number of reasons why it might not, most of which come down to maintenance (which does not mean turning the adjusting screw).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul1Matthias
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I doubt if the pressure cracked that, if it did you would have known by how much your house filled with steam.

Is the pigtail under the pressuretrol clean? How do you adjust it? Increase the pressure setting?

That looks like a fatigue crack to me, a pressure failure would have caused the metal to flare out and possibly shoot across the room, again I doubt if this was caused by pressure.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaul
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    paul77 said:

I have a Burnham Independence IN4 that has a flicky Honeywell Presstrol since it was installed. Every year I would have to adjust the adjustment screw a little or it will not cutoff. This year the Presstrol failed and the pressure was so high the it ruptured one of the radiator value, see picture. The 0 - 30 PSI gauge is damage and it is no longer accurate and the relief valve failed to go off.

Some one please recommend a reliable Presstrol.

Please get your service provider to correct those dangerous issues ASAP!

1Matthias
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Not likely the result of high pressure but it sounds like it's time to have all the safeties on the boiler serviced.
    1Matthias