Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Softened water for steam boiler feed

Options
clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,111
Most of the boiler replacement and steam issue solving that I do do I rarely see water softened feeds to the boiler. Well I have a mis piped Utica that’s 22 years old it needs a repipe but at that age and condition I feel it’s not a great roi . It also is feed w softened water Promblem being I.ve wanded,flushed skimmed and then re skimmed and when steamed afterward she would behave as well as excepted considering the boiler style and single riser .Could softened water have any effect on causing priming and foam ? I haven’t been back yet to observe but last time she had a slanted water line and that was after a riser had sprung a bad leak and was spitting out condensate we capped it off and then proceeded of flush the boiler and small wet return ,drained and skimmed .After that all was good for about 2 weeks or so .Could softened water be contributing to the issue.one more note the boiler is not piped correctly and in all likelihood was never skimmed or cleaned when installed being there was no skim tee installed . I ,ll have to set up a appoint,met and go back and flush wand and skim and run it through the paces . Thanks for any input Peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    side Note Performed 2 complete cleaning consisting of draining and flushing the block then wanding the boiler section by section being it’s a Utica I went through the steam side push nipples and went section by section . Filled fires and skimmed her . Last time most of the issue was steam leak relatated we just flushed and skimmed and all was well .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    I normally don't' suggest softened water for a boiler, as the chlorides from most water softeners are too high and tend to lead to corrosion. Sometimes the pH is too high, too -- which may be part of the foaming problem you mentioned.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England