Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turkey fryer burner went from blue flame to orange, with new regulator hose.

pkrakker
pkrakker Member Posts: 1
I’ve got a turkey fryer that I generally use to heat up my shop. It used to burn with a blue flame with kind of a touchy regulator. Bought a new regulator and hose- put them on -fired it up and all I got is a campfire - looks like a fireplace in the house. ( I have a CO2 alarm a few feet away.) I’ve tried blocking the air vents but it changes nothing.. I can’t figure out what changed other than a new hose and regulator? I thought it was going to be much better but it’s actually worse with the new device. Fact is, the old device, crappy as it was, worked very well compared to the piece of crap I’m using now. Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I'm wondering why you are using a fryer as a heating appliance. Those things can produce unsafe levels of carbon monoxide, not C02. Thats why they recommend using them outdoors. Doesn't seem safe.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    As @SuperTech notes, that's the wrong appliance to use for heat. It isn't safe.

Now, that said, you've nailed what changed -- a new hose and a new regulator. Is the regulator properly adjusted? Was the new hose scrupulously clean? If the flame is orange (not yellow, orange) that usually indicates a good bit of dust and dirt getting into it. It is possible that that will go away with time. If the flame is yellow, though, that indicates (usually) that the air/fuel ratio is off.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited February 2019
    I assume same vapor fuel both times ---propane!?!?

New Reg smaller BTU/hr flow rating?

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Regulator may be non adjustable.
    Is there a difference of fixed rates for LP versus NG for these small appliances?
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited February 2019
    1) Spider make a web in ventri?? Can't get enough air. In my grill I clean it out and that problem goes away.

2)Reg needs to be rated for at least as much flow rate as burner orfice ( ie..... xx BTU/hr)

New reg might be undersized for flow you need, so reg outlet pressure is too low while flowing. That makes burner orifice velocity too low and it doesn't pump/drag enough air into mixing ventri. Seen modern propane BBQ grill type regs come in various flow sizes, old 1960's one could do higher flow rate than some modern ones.

Another possibility if using a 20 # BBQ tank is you opened tank valve too fast and tripped tank valve's "broke hose saftey". If tank valve sees "high" flow rate, it assumes hose broke and cuts flow rate to ~40%. Shut off tank , bleed pressure from tank outlet . Trick is to open tank SLOWLY ,then slowly open burner valve. That happens on my grills.

Zman
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was the last suggestion above, I've had that happen a few times on my grill.