Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bosch boiler plumbed backwards

m_s
m_s Member Posts: 3
Hello, I have a Bosch Greenstar 131 floor standing boiler that was installed last fall. The unit has not been keeping up with the cold temps this winter and I just noticed that the radiator return line is plumbed to the boiler port marked "supply" and the radiators are being fed from the boiler port marked "return". Can anyone tell me what the detrimental effects of this would be? Lower temp to the baseboard heating? Damage to the boiler?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited February 2019
    How about pictures of the piping including the pump(s) if any.
    Show the arrow on the pump in reference to the piping.
    Also the labels on the boiler...in & out.
    Sometimes primary/secondary piping is hard to follow.
  • m_s
    If you are questioning whether the flow is incorrect, that has already been established. My question concerns heating inefficiencies and potential damage to the boiler.
  • tc60045
    tc60045 Member Posts: 31
    m_s said:

If you are questioning whether the flow is incorrect, that has already been established. My question concerns heating inefficiencies and potential damage to the boiler.

Aww, come on: who doesn't love an "oh.my.gawd." picture of plumbing done badly -- share a pic and you'll likely get a lot of feedback (with...most of it helpful)
    ethicalpaul
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    If you show a picture it would be a lot easier for us to answer your questions regarding damage and inefficiency, and we can determine if there are any other problems that you may be unaware of.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    There are some radiation/baseboard systems that don't care what direction the water flows, FWIW.
    The location of the pump, air venter and expansion tank will matter to flow direction.....sometimes.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    The SWT and RWT sensors of the boiler should detect an error in flow by a wrong delta T between them. In that case, the boiler would either go to its lowest modulation or throw an error code and lock out.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Rich_49Tinman
  • Ironman
    Is the system direct pumped or p/s? Was the plug in the LLH removed or left in?
    Bob Boan
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,137
    > @Ironman said:
    > Is the system direct pumped or p/s? Was the plug in the LLH removed or left in?

My system is primary secondary, I reversed the circulator for the secondary zones and pumped into the return of my two pipe reverse return venturi tee split loop. It didn't affect anything one bit. But pumping backwards through the boiler just isn't right.
  • m_s
    Ironman, The plug in the LLH was removed. I don't know what you mean by direct pumped or p/s.
  • Ironman
    Then some pics would be helpful.
    Bob Boan
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Baseboard doesn't care which way the water flows. Need picture before condemning it
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    No you can't plumb the boiler in backwards. It's wrong correct it and let it work as it was designed to.
    D