Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostats

Options
matt74
matt74 Member Posts: 9
I have a Weil Mclain LBG steam boiler Are you able to use two thermostats on a one burner system

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    So many questions-so little time!
    A conventional thermostat is a simple switch, so it cannot average the temperature mesured in two different areas. There are more advanced thermostats which can take the average from several different locations to control the system.
    Use of these more sophisticated thermostats requires the system to be in perfect balance, with the radiators receiving steam all at the same time. This is achieved with generous main venting.
    Tell us what you are trying to accomplish, and we will help with a solution.—NBC
  • matt74
    Options
    Nichols what is going on here is I have two units that do not heat up like the others they're on the Northside so they get all the Minnesota Northern wind in the winter and putting the thermostat one of them units there's four of them on ground level stay above what my thermostat is set for so the rest of the building gets cold because the boiler is not kicking over so my final attempt was putting the thermostat in the coldest room on the Northside basically what I want to know is I able to jump another thermostat and put it in the other unit on the Northside was in
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    You can put two thermostats in parallel, quite easily, if they re conventional two wire thermostats. If they are fancier three wire thermostats, then it's a little more complicated.

However.

That will not solve your problem of imbalance in heating between your two northside apartments and the rest of the building.

Those two apartments lose heat faster than the others -- wind, and no sun. There are ways to attack this problem, but two thermostats together isn't one of them.

What is your heating system? Steam? Hot water? Forced air?

How is the insulation in the building? How tight are the windows and doors?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • matt74
    Options
    All right my system is Weil Mclain steam boiler made in 92 the thermostat is set for 74 degrees insulation I do not know building was built in 1878 it's only isolated to them to Apartments i also live on site live on the third floor on the Northside but I do consider the downstairs to Apartments the dark side so that will work jumping thermostats so both units will control how the boiler turns on
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    If you parallel the two thermostats, yes -- the boiler will run whenever either one is calling for heat.

This will not solve the temperature imbalance between the various spaces.

If -- and only if -- the steam mains in the basement are properly vented, you may be able to improve the balance by adjusting the vents on the radiators (assuming this is one pipe steam).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    @matt74 You have an imbalance issue and a thermostat will not fix that problem.

For example, you say the thermostat is in the warmer apartment (74) and others get cold lets say 68. If you move the thermostat to the colder apartment then it will get to 74 and the warmer apartment will get to 80. The temperature differential won't change (significantly) when you move the thermostat.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • matt74
    Options
    heres a update. ever since I relocated the thermostat into that one unit it's been holding steady at 75 degrees all day this is in my apartment an im on the darkside but on 3rd floor