Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Congratulations to Dan Holohan

Erin Holohan Haskell
Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
edited January 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Tonight @DanHolohan will begin his new role as President of the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen of the City of New York. (Congratulations, Dad! I'm so proud of you.)

The General Society has been meeting regularly since 1785. They opened, and continue to operate, the second-oldest membership library in New York City. They also opened one of the city’s first free schools in 1820, and in 1858, after New York City founded its public school system, the society converted its school into a mechanics institute.

The General Society has since offered tuition-free education to tens of thousands of women and men working in the trades.

The General Society also hosts a lecture series that is open to all. It features twenty-four thought-provoking lectures by master artisans and experts in New York City architecture, historic preservation, literature, labor, and urban history.

You can learn more about the General Society here and support their great work here.

President
HeatingHelp.com
STEVEusaPARPKIronmaninfo43DocfletcherSolid_Fuel_Man1MatthiasBrewbeerJohn Mills_5

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Congratulations Dan!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    That's awesome, Dan! Congrats! Thanks for sharing that Erin.
    Steve Minnich
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,177
    Congratulations! That's one of the most prestigious organisations around. And you can pass along to Dan that most of what I know about the practical side of steam I've learned from him and the good folks here on the Wall which you two run so well.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Something to be proud of!!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Congrats Dan

Well deserved!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Congratulations! That is very awesome.

Last time I was in NY the library was closed. I’m visiting again in February and hope to make it this time!
    Never stop learning.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,461
    Wow What an honor Kudos to you Dan
    Dan also got some high prasise from Jen Anesi with her farewell article in Plumbing and Mechanical Magazine
    https://www.pmmag.com/articles/101812-jen-anesi-brombach-new-beginnings-and-a-thank-you
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    NoelErin Holohan Haskell
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Congratulations! I imagine that Dan will, with his unusual ability to listen and put diverse things together, take the Society to even higher places. He'll help it to become even better. Wonderful!! o:)

Yours, Larry
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Curious_J
    Curious_J Member Posts: 18
    Congratulations to Dan! And, lucky are those who will benefit from his wisdom and his ability to share it in an engaging manner. Although not a New Yorker, I am truly excited to see him in this role - this country needs people like him who can bring to light the ingenuity of our forebearers to remind us from where we came, what we are capable of with some critical thought, and how much we owe to the skilled trades (and to those who came before us).
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I was there. Erin, your dad gave the most moving and inspiring speech. He’s going to motivate the whole society. I’m looking forward to working with him in the school and with bringing many cultural and technical programs to our members and to the public. Your dad’s appointment to President is truly a great day for the organization and for me personally.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    edited January 2019
    Thanks to all. This is what I said to my Brothers and Sisters last evening:

“Fellow Citizen.”

No one had ever called me that before Past-President Jerry Drohan said those words as he inducted me into this Society.

Fellow Citizen.

It felt both old-fashioned, and important. And all at the same time.

It also felt very American: Fellow Citizen.

Yes.

And then I learned as Jerry continued reading the old-fashioned words that, in accordance with our Charter, I had been elected a member of this Incorporation, The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen of the City of New York.

I knew that already, of course, but again, the old-fashioned nature of the phrasing that each president has read to each new member of this Society had me standing taller. It was a very special moment. And I felt as if it wasn’t just Jerry speaking to me. I felt like all the others who had come before him were speaking to me - the Founders, and those that had followed them.

I was hearing them all.

And that is why I asked Victoria and Genesis to have the Founders’ names affixed to 22 chairs here in our Assembly Room during the time of my presidency, and perhaps even after I’m done, if you so choose.

To me, this room is a sacred place. Let our Founders be here with us in spirit as we gather each month. Let them constantly remind us of who we are, and why we are here.

Jerry told me that night as he spoke the words of my induction that my election to this Society was the result of the testimonial that he and other members had received of my character. He said I should let industry, integrity and sobriety continue to be the ornaments of my name.

So old-fashioned, and yet so important, those words.

The testimonial of our characters.

The ornaments of our names.

Beautiful things.

And then Jerry talked about the woman and the children portrayed in that painting. It’s called From Riches to Poverty, and it always makes me think of a legless college professor I met years ago in a homeless shelter on Houston Street where I was doing volunteer work. She said to me, “The only difference between most people and me is about five paychecks and a credit card.”

And that is so true.

But she was alone.

We are not alone.

That 1884 painting is by Abraham Archibald Anderson. Our long-gone Brother, William Webb, bought it many years ago and donated it to The Society. He wanted it to serve as a constant reminder that to relieve the unfortunate brother, or the widow or children of such, was the primary and commendable object of the founders of this Society.

And those are the words that Jerry spoke to me that night, and each president before him spoke those same words to each new member. To relieve the unfortunate brother, or the widow or children of such. It is the pledge that we make to each other. To be there for each other.

And then Jerry continued by telling me the usefulness of that pledge has since been extended by the establishment of libraries and reading rooms, together with a school for the instruction and improvement of those needing such to assist them in their daily vocation, and so to materially improve their position in life.
    I love the old-fashioned phrasing each of us heard, and to which we all agreed as we became members of this Society.

And we see the students of that school, our Mechanics Institute, come and go each year. They arrive, and they learn, and they better themselves. They materially improve their positions in life through our work as Society members. They graduate and they move on, and we rejoice in that because this is who we are. This is what we do. For centuries, we have built this city by elevating those New Yorkers who need a helping hand.

This is who we are.

And then Jerry looked at me and he said it is expected that you will lend your aid to these laudable purposes, and promote with your brethren the honor and welfare of this Society.

It is expected that you will lend your aid.

It is expected.

Yes, and we all rise to that expectation, each in our own way, and each through our own talents and abilities. We rise.

Always.

I come to this room alone from time to time to sit and just listen to the timeless silence that this room holds.

Listen.

I hear the expectation of those who came before us in that silence. You will lend your aid to these laudable purposes, and promote with your brethren the honor and welfare of this Society.

Yes.

I sit quietly and I think again of the students we send forth at every spring’s graduation, each of them better prepared to materially improve their position in life because of what we’ve done for them.

I think, too, of those who come to hear lectures and to learn from our speakers. And I think of those who find the answers and the further questions that patiently await them on the shelves of our ageless library.

This is what we do. This is who we are. Yes!

And then Jerry said to me, “We welcome you as a brother! A delightful union, when the bond of friendship is benevolence.
    He invited me to inscribe my name on the General Register, which is a moment I will never forget, and on behalf of the Society, he tendered me the right hand of fellowship.

We have all heard those words. We have all accepted that tendered right hand of fellowship. We have all promised to be there for each other, and to continue to promote the honor and welfare of this Society.

Tonight, I pledge again to always be there for you as your Brother. I will do my best to serve you as your president. It is a great honor and I thank you for putting your trust in me.

We are living our history.

Let us live it well.

(P.S. My true preparation for this speech was the many years I have spent with all of you here on The Wall. You, too, are my Brothers and Sisters. Thanks for all that you do for others.)
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan HaskellSTEVEusaPASal SantamauraJohnNY
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,617
    I was going to click 'like', then I realized that 'like' isn't enough. All I can say is thank you, Dan.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Congratulations Dan.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    JohnNY said:

I was there. Erin, your dad gave the most moving and inspiring speech. He’s going to motivate the whole society. I’m looking forward to working with him in the school and with bringing many cultural and technical programs to our members and to the public. Your dad’s appointment to President is truly a great day for the organization and for me personally.

Well said, John. Thanks for sharing the photo.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    Sal Santamaura
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Congratulations Dan. You'll never realize what an asset you are to our industry.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Erin Holohan HaskellTinmanSolid_Fuel_Man
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited January 2019
    ratio said:

I was going to click 'like', then I realized that 'like' isn't enough. All I can say is thank you, Dan.

There is an 'Awesome' button :)

Congrats Dan, best of luck during your tenure.
    steve
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    I enjoyed his blog about visiting the mechanics institute ! Great he gets to have his photo on the wall with all of the other presidents like he mentioned in the article!
    https://heatinghelp.com/blog/saving-history/

Erin Holohan Haskell
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Very cool! Congratulations Dan!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Dan Holohan is solely responsible for changing the course of my career. It was the magic in the words he wrote that made me fall in love with hydronics.
    Steve Minnich
    Erin Holohan HaskellIronmanSeanBeans
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Dan affected all of our careers, whether we're aware of it not. This is a wonderful continuing story of a man who cares deeply and acts with knowledge, power and focus. Congrats, Dan!!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I have truly been changed by Dan's writing and this site! This is by and large the BEST mechanical site for anything HVAC.

I know I will have the pleasure of visiting General Society one day.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Erin Holohan HaskellSeanBeans
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Nicely played, it will look good on a resume :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    TinmanErin Holohan Haskell
  • icy78
    icy78 Member Posts: 404
    Thankyou for sharing Dan. I really like the part where your predecessor says 'it is expected you will lend your aid....'

Thats a challenge for me and all of us everyday.
    Congratulations!
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Yes, @icy78, that's one of the reasons why we call each other Brother and Sister.
    Retired and loving it.
    JohnNYErin Holohan Haskell
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Man, at times like this I wished I lived on the East coast so I could see places like this and meet some of you. But then Iook around here and say, Naw. I will just have to see things through sites like this and be proud to be able to be part of it.
    Congratulations Dan on getting the rewards of a lifetime of good work. Keep us informed of the things you will be doing there.
    Erin is next!
    Rick
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Rick! I'm just a link in a beautiful chain that goes back 233 years, but it sure feels nice.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited January 2019
    I remember one of my customers got really upset with me about my quote for a replacement boiler. Connect the return pipe to the boiler return and the supply pipe to the boiler supply. "Why is your quote so expensive?"
    Hydronics is not that simple, is it? I've spent almost half my life learning how to do it right and to tell you the truth, I don't have all the answers. I get stumped more often than I like to admit.
    I=B=R classes in the early days helped me through kindergarten, but I missed a lot changing my diaper. What brought me through puberty were Dan's seminars and books and how he presented his and Gil Carlson's knowledge.
    During my schooling, four teachers inspired me. Mr. Page taught me Chaucer and Pope, Mr. Latimer taught me accounting, Dr. Burgett taught me apiculture and Mr. Holohan taught me hydronics. Thanks, Dan.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    Erin Holohan HaskellJohnNY
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Alan. That means a lot.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Dan I gotta say, you created a bit of steam snobberizm amongst many of us wallies, many of us who stick to your words like gospel, and we wouldn't have it any other way......... Thank you and congratulations.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    Erin Holohan HaskellJohnNY
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Dave, and especially for the new word: Snobberizm!
    Retired and loving it.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    edited January 2019
    Dan,

Thank you for all that you have done in the world of HVAC. You have instilled knowledge into thousands of homeowners and technicians on the Lost Art of Steam Heating. While I find HVAC mostly a hobby for myself, your work has made it interesting and enjoyable for me. Congratulations!

Someday, I need to visit the society’s building. I only work one block away from it and would love to see the library and the lock collection.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Mike. Stop by and look around. I think you’ll love it.
    Retired and loving it.