Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning radiators

I have 17 cast iron steam radiators on a 1 pipe system, they have been in the house at least 60 years (probably longer),is it a good idea to disconnect them and flush/ rinse them out to try and get the scale / rust out ? Thanks.

Comments

• Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Basically not needed unless you have a specific problem. Think of it this way, they have been steam cleaned and flushed by distilled water every time the boiler comes on.
  • heatinghelpfor3
    heatinghelpfor3 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for your help.
  • If you have a specific problem with them, then describe it here for more advice.
    The most common causes of unbalanced heating are:
    1. Plugged pigtail allowing the pressuretrol to not keep the pressure down below 1.5 psi.
    2. Plugged or inadequate main venting preventing the air from escaping with low resistance.
    3. Dirty, or chemical tainted water causing irregular boiling.
    4. A botched installation of a new boiler, causing unbalanced steam distribution.
    5. Sagging pipes, collecting a pool of water causing water hammer, and interrupting steam flow.—NBC
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Pointless. Cast iron will always have a coating of rust. A little
    Rust in the bottom not hurt anything. There’s little less rust and scale than you think in there. I’ve had my 110year old radiators off a few times. Not much in there i could see.