Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Downfiring PB 63-04 to 63-04L

Dan_NJ
Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
I've found that the Peerless 63-04 I have is more oversized than I originally thought. I miscalculated EDR the first time around as approx. 500. After revisiting this and correcting for the tube type radiators I have, actual EDR is more like 318. If this 63-04 with output of 458 sq ft could be modified to be a 63-04L with 383 sq ft I would be alot closer to actual EDR.

Can anyone comment on what's involved to do this? The manual shows the same burner part number for a range of models - 63-03 through 64-12, but all with a different number of tubes (2 - 21 tubes). Does that mean the existing burner can be modified to 4 tubes instead of 5 or would the whole burner be replaced to do this?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    edited December 2018
    They show 5 burners for the 04 & 4 for the 04L. Also show the rear burner support would have to be changed.

They also show a different part # for the O4 block than the 04L block. Not sure why.

I would call a supply house that sells Peerless or call Peerless direct and have them track down the answer.

Someone else may respond with a better answer
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    edited December 2018
    I think on the Peerless all you need is the manifold and rear burner support. Draft hood is the same.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Chrisj here has done this, and may respond.—NBC
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177

Chrisj here has done this, and may respond.—NBC

Chris did this to a Weil-McLain EG45
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    ChrisJ
  • Dan_NJ
    Thanks for the replies, I'll be looking into it further
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Dave0176 said:

Chrisj here has done this, and may respond.—NBC

Chris did this to a Weil-McLain EG45
    @ChrisJ
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    edited December 2018
    Hi all,

The WM EG-40 and EG-45 are identical aside from a few parts. From what I recall, the burner tray that holds the ends of the tubes, the burner manifold and the drafthood were different. So, I bought the correct parts for the EG-40 and changed them which eliminated 1 burner tube. It also changed the burner tube spacing and the drafthood was completely different. An EG-45 hood will NOT work on an EG-40.

There's a good chance the Peerless is similar, but I don't have any experience with it. :(
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dan_NJ
    Thanks again, I am able to go one cycle without cycling on pressure assuming no setback/recovery, and/or outside temp stays maybe above 25 degrees give or take.
  • ChrisJ
    Dan_NJ said:

Thanks again, I am able to go one cycle without cycling on pressure assuming no setback/recovery, and/or outside temp stays maybe above 25 degrees give or take.

If you're able to actually convert it to the smaller model, I say go for it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dan_NJ
    I think this would be good bang for the buck. It's not piped correctly and I think it would be too costly to repipe it. We'll see what's possible thx
  • ChrisJ
    Dan_NJ said:

I think this would be good bang for the buck. It's not piped correctly and I think it would be too costly to repipe it. We'll see what's possible thx

Wait...
    How is reducing it's output going to help or fix improper piping?!?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I was thinking the same thing @ChrisJ
  • Dan_NJ
    > @ChrisJ said:
    > Wait...
    > How is reducing it's output going to help or fix improper piping?!?

It's not. I'm just considering how to improve things without going bankrupt :)
    ethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    Dan_NJ said:

> @ChrisJ said:

> Wait...

> How is reducing it's output going to help or fix improper piping?!?

It's not. I'm just considering how to improve things without going bankrupt :)

Chances are money you could spend on tightening your house up or insulating it would be far more useful as far as the building's efficiency.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Why wouldn't reducing the output help with crappy piping? Of course it will, your reducing the steam velocity which will make any piping steam piping system work better.

How many boilers have we seen with crappy piping jobs that shouldn't work but do. To me its is likely that an oversized boiler with crappy piping works (sometimes) because the load is smaller than the boiler...reduced velocity