Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

concrete block under steam boiler all of sudden seeing cracking, any ideas?

Options
jestjest
jestjest Member Posts: 1
edited December 2018 in Strictly Steam
Concrete block under steam boiler all of sudden seeing cracking, any ideas? seemed fine 2-3 months ago.
Don't get why its doing that.

Thanks.

Any input will be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    my first guess would be heat.. looks like the boiler could use a cleaning..
    CanuckerkcoppGordy
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Probably didn't use some WWF for reinforcement, combined with some settlement from not properly preparing before the concrete. IOW, they should've probably not put the slab on top of what is probably a 2" rat slab. It also looks like they may have used the wrong concrete.
    Unless the boiler is now out of level, or it dropped and is putting stress on the piping, I would just monitor to see if it gets worse.
    If it gets worse, you may have to disconnect the boiler, re do the pad (correctly we hope) and re-set the boiler. Or re-do the slab when you get a new boiler :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Options
    The pad will probably serve for years more. While there are many things that can go wrong with concrete, and lots of uninformed opinions about the stuff, in that application it is not likely to turn to dust.
    If you need to site mix a pad or repair an inslab leak, add fiber to the mix, it is cheap and adds tons of strength to the cement. Measure the components accurately and use a minimal amount of water .
    ethicalpaul
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    That cracking looks older than 2-3 months old.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    Gordy said:

That cracking looks older than 2-3 months old.

Looks like decades old to me.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ethicalpaul