Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflow mess

Wayne55
Wayne55 Member Posts: 10
I inherited this, one boiler wasn't doing job someone added other boiler.. basically 3 zones ( 3 circulators) can someone tell me how I can put the pics. From my phone on here please ..be easier to show then ask my wuestion.been out of commission for about 5 yrs.

Comments

• Wayne55
    Figured how to get pics. 3 floors,3 circs,seems 2nd and 3rd on one boiler,1st floor. On other boiler.but suppy and return are twin together .1st floor. Circulator seems to be pulling h/w from 2nd and 3rd floor.boiler.would it make sense to put check valve on return side so it can't pull h/w from boiler
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Your pics need to be from farther back showing as much of the piping as possible.

The Grundfos circulator needs to be mounted completely horizontal, not half way vertical.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • kevink1955
    kevink1955 Member Posts: 88
    I cannot make any sense of it but does anyone find it funny that a Hot Water system is piped in Black Iron. If only some of the new steam installers could do that instead of copper
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    ^It's probably because it's originally piped in black iron.
  • Wayne55
    It was originally piped in blk. Iron. I will get better pictures tomorrow. I was going to take that 1 inch line out put circulator completely on horizontal when I got call mother got rushed to hospital so I just slapped it in. I appreciate the feedback hopefully tomorrow I get better pics explain this mess better and I get some more feedback..thank you guys
  • Wayne55
    Hope these pics are better,couldn't move back any further . Ok there's 3 circs,3 relays,and 2 aquastats.whats happening is 3 floors,turn heat on 1 St floor and radiators on 3rd floor getting hot ..it's a monoflow system .if these two boilers are connected what would prevent 1st floor. Grundfos coming on and pulling return water from other 2 zones
  • Wayne55
    Again I appreciate the feedback... This is pretty much volunteer work, it's a club for friends of bill w
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    That's messed up. Can you draw out the boiler piping layout.
  • Wayne55
    Just a heads up,I got run over my truck 4-5 yrs. Ago.screwed up my motor skills a little.cant draw straight.2 boilers tied together a off the main there's a 2x1 tee tieing into return.monoflow system,so I turn heat on 1st floor it's getting radiators hot on 2nd and 3rd floor .all circulators tie into return line not into boiler separately any suggestions
  • Wayne55
    Any suggestions guys besides find a new trade lmao.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Pretty much a re-pipe, download the OM, pipe it according to the manual. Have you done a heat loss, or radiation numbers? Do you really need 2 boilers?
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    You can keep the two boilers considering that they are already there. Just not the way its piped now! I'd also re-do the entire near boiler piping, pump away. I'd consider giving each boiler it's own pump and pipe it primarily/secondary. That way you can lead lag the boilers and have total redundancy for just the cost of two pumps.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Wayne55
    Dzorro and fuel man sorry took so long to say thanks,after that mess I needed vacation. Repiped that cluster,rewired some.works like a champ
    DZoroSolid_Fuel_Man