Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steamer Replacement Fan In a Can

EzzyT
EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
We ripped this leaker out.
Installed a Williamson GSA-150, upgrade the main venting and installed a Fan In A Can.
Also installed a inline demilitarize water filter.
Did a initial skimming but still have to go back to swap out the faulty fain in a can which happens sometimes. Need skim some more, wand, add some more support hangers on the steam main, move some radiator vents to the proper locations on the radiators, make sure all radiators are pitched properly and of course performe a combustion analysis.
E-Travis Mechanical LLC
Etravismechanical@gmail.com
201-887-8856
STEVEusaPAlcw5ranzerox

Comments

• Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Very nice Ezz. And don’t you mean demineralize??
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    So compact!! I like your home-rolled pigtails with cleanout plugs—is that how you do all of them or was the plumbing supply having a shortage? (I’m always afraid I’m going to smack mine with a wrench or something)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    nice 3 inch piping was there only 1 take off going to the house?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Of course, more good work!.....and you will never run out of work.

It looks like you remove every factory plug and nipple/cap them even if you don't need them. The steamers I service range from 1955 to 1980's . I wish installers then would have done that.
    Needless to say some are impossible to remove today.

Is that a counterflow main for the entire run or does it change to parallel flow with a dry return ?
    I see what looks to be the main drip?
    Where does the other dry return come from?
    ethicalpaul
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Does the DM/DI water filter make a big difference?

I always wondered if you could easily create a small compact de-aerator as well. So have a combined water pre-treatment assembly.
  • mikeg2015
    I absolutely LOVE how you all pipe stubs to ALL ports regardless of if they are used. You never know what you might want to add or change 10, 15, 20 years later. Impossible to get a plug out later on. Only downside is you might want them covered with insulation.
    EzzyT
  • mikeg2015
    ... and all the little clean-out Tees with hose connections. Great drop header.

Your installation should go into the boiler manual.

Actually it would be cool to create a "best practice" installation guide with full color examples to educate installers, and even customers.
    STEVEusaPAdelta T
  • lcw5
    lcw5 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2018
    Thanks, Ezzy.

This is my boiler. Original problem seen here, https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/167327/boiler-needs-water-frequently

The counterflow is only for a short run, it's parallel flow through the rest of the main which runs a full circuit around my basement and comes back as the dry return.
    mikeg2015 said:

I absolutely LOVE how you all pipe stubs to ALL ports regardless of if they are used. You never know what you might want to add or change 10, 15, 20 years later. Impossible to get a plug out later on. Only downside is you might want them covered with insulation.

This is really nice to see, because as someone who just bought this house, I have no idea what I might want or need to do down the road, or what other issues there were with the system. I obviously didn't love having to make such a big money decision without any experience living in the house. Knowing throughout the process that Ezzy knew what he was doing and was doing his best to preserve all options down the road is comforting.
  • EzzyT
    @ethicalpaul that is called a water seal I don’t like pigtails and all my installs and repipes get a water seal
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
    ethicalpaul
  • EzzyT
    Thank you all for the great comments and compliments much appreciated.

@mikeg2015 the DM filter makes a big difference, and certainly helps to insure better water is being fed into the boiler and system.

@JUGHNE why not take all or at least most of the factory plugs out to me it makes sense especially when it comes to servicing the boiler.

@lcw5 thanks again for having us to do the work for you.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
    JUGHNEethicalpaul