Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basement leak - elbow for return?

Options
epic_stratton
epic_stratton Member Posts: 18
edited December 2018 in Strictly Steam
So first the question - is this something relatively easy for me to fix on my own? That is, could I do it in a day and with a very low chance of destroying things.

My other post dealt with a leaking vent from a baseboard radiators. Replaced those with some Hoffman 508 disc type vents. They seem to be working well enough.

But now I have a leak in the basement. Elbow of the return from the same set of radiators (elbow is off the end of the pipe that Is feeding steam (hopefully I’m getting some of this right)). Pictures hopefully help too.

Plan for the weekend was to skim the boiler due to water jumping in the sight glass but now I guess it’s this too.

Thoughts?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Could this leak be from water running down the outside of the pipe, and not from a rust hole in the side?—NBC
  • epic_stratton
    epic_stratton Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Nope. Definitely from the elbow or I guess possibly the adjoining piece. Not running down from anywhere though. Essentially this elbow is the bottom of a C shape connecting the steam to the return end of the system (hopefully describing that right)
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    That union is sure good news for you. Still a project. My bet is the nipple is gone at the threads. Cut the close nips at the fittings and and inside the fittings and start over. Three close nipples an elbow and a union. Sawzall, little cold chisel and a hammer.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    epic_strattonethicalpaul
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options
    There is a union right next to that elbow, that should be easy to fix.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    epic_strattonethicalpaul