Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help finding a heating contractor in NYC area-what to look for

Options
I posted about a week or so ago about my boiler taking in too much water and was indicated that I have a leak. The boiler now that is very very cold is using a lot more water which makes me think the leak has to be on the steam side otherwise the weather shouldn't matter right?. I just have not found the leak. In any case I'd like to find someone affordable but good and the listings recommended on this page cater to "high end" which I'm certainly not or have little to no reviews. I got recommended another one from a friend but they are only taking their regular contracted people. In any case I'm wary and unsure how to find someone who will do a good job and have a fair price. I am a new home owner (of an old house). Any advice on how to go about this? This is NYC and boy are there options...but are they all good options? Not likely

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Options

the listings recommended on this page cater to "high end" which I'm certainly not or have little to no reviews.

How have you deduced that? And what do you mean about reviews? Have you contacted any of them for an estimate yet?

The guys on this site do the proper job for a fair price IMHO. We don't discuss pricing here, but I have had enough private conversations with people both contractors and homeowners to know that the prices that get quoted are right in line with what a proper job should cost.

I installed my own boiler, I am very familiar with material costs for a proper job, the guys on this site aren't out of line.

In any case I'm wary and unsure how to find someone who will do a good job and have a fair price. I am a new home owner (of an old house). Any advice on how to go about this? This is NYC and boy are there options...but are they all good options? Not likely

If you shop with price as too high of a criteria you will end up with a poor job, just browse this site for a while and see. Maybe 5% of the people I see come here have even remotely close to correct boiler piping. The rest are garbage. We have seen plenty come here after getting a crap install, finding out it won't work then paying a second time (usually to someone on this site) to fix it correctly. The difference between the cheap guy and the more expensive guy is going to be minimal in the long run.

Look I am a HO too, I get it, money doesn't grow on trees. I currently have a 5 figure estimate for a new roof on my house and I do not have the money, but it needs replaced so I have to figure it out. It's home ownership at it's finest.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Erin Holohan HaskellDave0176
  • Merengazo3
    Merengazo3 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you. Great advice! On the high end comment this was from research on the companies, articles written about them said so specifically (not myself).
  • Merengazo3
    Merengazo3 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Also they seem to serve more commercial buildings and big multi families. (this is the list I got from the search for a contractor page) so it seems a bit intimidating! I will try and see anyways
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    @Merengazo3 Remember the saying “you get what you pay for” Skilled Labor isn’t Cheap!! And Cheap Labor isn’t Skilled!!
    We as contractors on this forum go above and beyond the minimum specifications on anything we do, why? Because we know what it takes to make it right. We’ve seen far too many hack jobs done by so called professionals and handymen.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......