Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any word on Barnes and Jones 1/2" NPT Vari-Vent for winter 2018/19

rrg
rrg Member Posts: 37
edited November 2018 in Strictly Steam
It's that time of year and looking for better venting on the one pipe main.
Looks like The big mouth will not fit without cutting the ceiling.

So I am looking for the 1/2 Barnes and Jones 1/2" vari-Vent.
Did they stop making them or where can I purchase one?

I see Amazon is out.
Thank you very much.
rrg

Comments

• Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Call factory and harass. Nicely.

They are the unsung venting hero especially for balancing mains.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    edited November 2018
    I called them last week. They will make them for you. Unfortunately their price is a lot higher than what is listed on Amazon. Don't remember if he said 102 or 122, but it's listed on Amazon for 75, same as the Big Mouth. I had no clearance issues, so I just with with the BM. (The two mains are 3 and 5 radiators respectively, so it shouldn't really need much balancing.)

Also Amazon is out of the Big Mouths again. I have my two so far, but need another two for my parents' house. Any idea if they'll have more soon?

Edit to add: It just occurred to me. The Big Mouth has that threaded outlet (because it started out as a trap). Could you make a series of discs, threaded to fit in there, with calibrated holes of varying sizes, which would serve the same purpose for tuning mains as the Vari-Vent?
    shyheim
  • Sailah
    Just so we're clear i don't work for barnes and Jones anymore so i can't affect pricing. I'm dismayed that the Vari Vent is that much. It was artificially cheaper when i first made it for Gerry Gill but we had an excess of the 1/2" NPT shells already in stock. It does require being hand TIG welded, complicated threaded vent, 100% stainless. So i guess they've decided that's the normal price. If you look at their compact trap, which is used in military sterilizers and commercial steam cooking equipment, it's probably that expensive plus the vari vent has that machined cap.

Along those lines i can't make discs for the Big Mouth but you could easily accomplish this by threading in a ball valve. Close to vary venting, cheap.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Shalom
    Oh, I'm sure it's a fair price for the amount of work that goes into making it, it's just at that price point I'm better off with another BM. (And I knew you aren't there anymore, that "you" was meant generally for the forumites.) Might update the price in the forum store though, that still links to Amazon (although they're perpetually out of stock: didn't you once say that they only stocked one at a time?)

Didn't think of the ball valve though. That's a good idea,
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 166
    I ordered 4 from the last batch and at that time Amazon said order soon only 14 left.
  • Sailah
    B&J says there are 100 en route and 100 behind that so expect stock soon.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Sailah
    Shalom said:

Oh, I'm sure it's a fair price for the amount of work that goes into making it, it's just at that price point I'm better off with another BM. (And I knew you aren't there anymore, that "you" was meant generally for the forumites.) Might update the price in the forum store though, that still links to Amazon (although they're perpetually out of stock: didn't you once say that they only stocked one at a time?)

Didn't think of the ball valve though. That's a good idea,

I think Erin needs to correct forum store we don't have anything to do with that.

The Vari Vent was a sorta custom product and wasn't worth "stocking" at Amazon. I'm sure they would send stock in if there was interest. It saves quite a bit on shipping using Amazon vs B&J UPS though so if you order from factory for things like 1/2" NPT Big Mouths, Vari Vent etc you need to pay shipping.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • Shalom
    edited November 2018
    Yeah the price he quoted me was including shipping, so there's that. They are kinda heavy in weight. I'll keep an eye out for the next batch, thanks.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    I keep about 5 big mouths in stock on my truck all the time.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Sailah said:

I think Erin needs to correct forum store we don't have anything to do with that.

Thanks for the heads up. Our store automatically pulls in Amazon's default list price. I'll keep an eye out when they're back in stock and talk to our developers. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • brandonf
    brandonf Member Posts: 205
    Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
  • Shalom
    edited November 2018
    Looks like the new batch are in, and there's only 18 left. Someone's stocking up.

(oh, and the price is up by $4.99 over the last batch.)
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • rrg
    rrg Member Posts: 37
    I got my 2 NPT Vari-Vent 1/2" and that means there are 2 left at Amazon. Great Price if you ask me. Thanks.