Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is my water heater definitely toast?

PJK1979
PJK1979 Member Posts: 5
A few days ago, I noticed a small puddle at the base of my Weil McLain Gold Plus 40 indirect water heater. The puddle dried up after a few hours but then reappeared after a few people took morning showers. I called my plumber and he told me to turn off the water and turn down the temperature on the tank. When I went to turn down the water temperature on the tank, some drops of water came out from under the thermostat.

The plumber came to inspect the tank the next day and couldn’t find the exact source of the leak and said that was typical with this type of system. He’s recommending that we replace the whole system (which will not be cheap). Is there any chance that something else could be going on and this heater could be salvaged? I thought that these indirect water heaters typically had longer lifespans.

The water heater was installed 10 years ago by the previous homeowner, so unfortunately it’s no longer under warranty.

Thanks!!

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I'm sure the indirect is leaking. If you can lift up the top black cover and get a flashlight, you'll probably see it leaking up top where the supply/return go in (at the welds), which is a pretty typical place they leak. You may also be able to take out the aquastat and look in that well for signs of water.
    If that's the case, it's not fixable.
    I'm confused why you would need to replace the whole system (didn't see any pics of the boiler) when all you may need is just a new indirect.
    They usually last longer, but it depends on the quality of your water. I would recommend having it tested.
    steve
  • PJK1979
    PJK1979 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my original post. By “system”, I meant the indirect water heating system but not the boiler itself.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Yeah, the TT type tanks are famous leakers.
    I would try to get WM to cover it. Do they know it wasn't your purchace?
    Get the CP# off the tag on the tank and try.
    WM dropped TT and now offer a standard coil HX indirect so it wont be a direct swap. There will be piping involved.

And it comes with a free drain!
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 266
    It's possible that the relief valve opened,and got on top of the tank, doesn't look like it was dripped to the floor.