Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dual zone t stat?

bhilton
bhilton Member Posts: 54
Hi everyone, i have in floor radiant heat run by a boiler for main level off slab sensor and forced air furnace for upstairs. No basement.

Whats a good single t stat to connect both systems heat calls to, and where it treats them as two separate zones so i can set each one with separate temps and schedules? Ideally id like a remote wifi temp sensor for the upstairs zone because i the tstat is located on main level for summer time central air conditioning. My current setup is with two tstats where the forced air honeywell has a remote for upstsairs.

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Since the two types of systems have such radically different needs and behaviours, I'd honestly be very surprised if any one thermostat could manage both. Consider: radiant -- no setbacks, very slow response, best with long or preferably continuous runs with output controlled by mixing valve and outdoor reset. Forced air -- doesn't mind setbacks, very rapid response, works best with frequent short cycles. Couldn't be more different if you tried.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • If you have radiant floor heat, I would set it and forget it. Setbacks don’t work very well with floor heat, although outdoor reset does.—NBC
  • bhilton

If you have radiant floor heat, I would set it and forget it. Setbacks don’t work very well with floor heat, although outdoor reset does.—NBC

Since the two types of systems have such radically different needs and behaviours, I'd honestly be very surprised if any one thermostat could manage both. Consider: radiant -- no setbacks, very slow response, best with long or preferably continuous runs with output controlled by mixing valve and outdoor reset. Forced air -- doesn't mind setbacks, very rapid response, works best with frequent short cycles. Couldn't be more different if you tried.

Thanks guys! I plan on setting the slab and forgetting it. I am just trying to eliminate having 2 thermostats on the wall, I'd rather have one, and it would be nice if it was accessible from my mobile devices. Of course, with a single t-stat I need all the configurations I mentioned above to be possible.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    No question it could be done. I can't think of any company which has done it. If, however, you have a nice geeky friend all you need is several thermistors, a few ADC converter chips, an Arduino or similar computer, a wifi interface, and a few drivers and relays...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    I can't think of anything either. Get a good WiFi stat for upstairs. If you want one downstairs, you'll need a common wire so 3 wires from stat to boiler.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    The only way I can think is a 2 stage, but I dont know of any which could do what you would like off the shelf. I'd go with two wifi stats.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    The radiant could be controlled by a stat mounted in the boiler room (closet?) with a remote sensor somewhere unobtrusive, and the forced air stat could be mounted on the main floor. A remote could be used with that one too, for that matter.

I like Honeywell RedLINK stats for wireless applications, you can get an internet gateway to allow up to 4 stats (per gateway) internet access. IIRC the Honeywell app has a demo account available.

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    > @Jamie Hall said:
    > No question it could be done. I can't think of any company which has done it. If, however, you have a nice geeky friend all you need is several thermistors, a few ADC converter chips, an Arduino or similar computer, a wifi interface, and a few drivers and relays...

Are you serious or is it a Flux Capacitor?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Nah, you only need that if you want temporal feedback in the loop.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    And 1.21 "jig-a-watts"
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • bhilton

And 1.21 "jig-a-watts"

Great Scott!!
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • bhilton
    ratio said:

The radiant could be controlled by a stat mounted in the boiler room (closet?) with a remote sensor somewhere unobtrusive, and the forced air stat could be mounted on the main floor. A remote could be used with that one too, for that matter.

I like Honeywell RedLINK stats for wireless applications, you can get an internet gateway to allow up to 4 stats (per gateway) internet access. IIRC the Honeywell app has a demo account available.

Ok, thanks everyone, for now I'll just stick with the Tekmar slab sensor stat and the honeywell on the forced air (with remote) that I have going right now.