Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Legitimate Reasons to Raise Steam Pressure

Options
I know that oftentimes on steam boilers, people will unnecessarily raise steam pressure to compensate for system deficiencies when there is really another issue that needs to be addressed.

What I'm wondering is, what are some actual, legitimate reasons that one would need to raise boiler pressure?

Thanks in advance, sorry for a novice question.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Assuming that we are talking heating systems here, and not process steam or power -- the first one that comes to my mind is that certain types of heating coils or reheat coils in air handlers do require a higher pressure sometimes.

I'm sure @Steamhead can come up with some more.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481
    Options
    I have seeen higher steam pressures on steam to water heat exchangers, typ 5-7 Psig
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,676
    Options
    Legitimate reasons to raise steam pressure?

I suppose if you want to get into New York early Tuesday night and make headlines......
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Phil53
    Phil53 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Smaller distribution piping - like Gerry's mini tube?
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    To raise condensate to a higher level than the trap discharge level.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Dry cleaners use high pressure.
    Fulton downfire 90 psi
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    As already mentioned, air handler coils, heat exchangers, high temperature requirements, lifting condensate, steam humidification

I