Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please remind me why I wanted a radiant floor.

nibs
nibs Member Posts: 511
edited September 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Just came in from troweling off a particularly cantankerous section of the floor slab, (kitchen) gonna have to get back on it in 1/2 hr at least once more tonight. May have to pull a midnight special, at my advanced age argh.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It will be soooooo nice when done!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    My radiant kitchen floor is my favorite room in winter. I did it myself in '06 and you'll be happy when its done. As long as it was designed and installed correctly.
    The only drawback is my doggies water bowl evaporates.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,888
    I've had all the material to convert my whole house from scorched air to radiant on a pallet in my shop since March, but cannot for the life of me find the time or ambition to make it happen. Perhaps the first cold snap will light a proverbial fire under my arse, or perhaps that same cold snap will add to my already overwhelming schedule.... Stands to reason though, it's not often a mechanic drives a top of the line car- so to speak. Too busy fixing everyone else's junk to worry about your own
    Rich_49
  • nibs
    The mechanic always drives the worst car.
    When I was building boats in the '70's planned on calling my next boat the 'Cobblers Child'.
    ratioGroundUp
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    @nibs is correct: I’ve been a mechanic for 15 years now and I drive a 99 Camry with 385,000 or so miles on it now (all original except front brakes and timing belt). I now drive it 6 miles per day as a commuter. It’s ready for retirement. I despise working on it (so I don’t)....The cobbler’s children go shoeless.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    Canucker
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Radiant when done is awesome. We had a 50 degree night here and with the home being very old and poorly insulated I couldnt help but bypass the ODR to run the boiler for a few minutes and take the chill out of the home. The bathroom radiant walls were nice and toasty for the morning shower!
    :NYplumber:
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Once you've experienced well done radiant, you would be hard pressed to ever like anything else.....wood stoves are kinda like that too.....but wood fired radiant even better!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    GroundUp
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    > @Solid_Fuel_Man said:
    > Once you've experienced well done radiant, you would be hard pressed to ever like anything else.....wood stoves are kinda like that too.....but wood fired radiant even better!

yes, if you have a biomass boiler and radiant heat, you will be tinkering all day. Even my non technical clients go down to tinker!
    :NYplumber:
  • GroundUp
    I'm a wood fired radiant guy.... It's an unhealthy addiction
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • nibs
    I wanted to go wood fired, but in 10 years will be in mid 80's & SWMBO struggling with lumps o wood in snow that she is too old to shovel is not gonna work, she will make me get up and get the wood myself.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    All my wood (3 full cord) is brought inside in the fall, piled in the nice toasty boiler room. I burn one fire a day and the control system takes care of the tinkering. Mind you it's taken several years and more hours than I care to think about. But this is the end product.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    CanuckerGroundUp
  • GroundUp
    Nice looking setup @Solid_Fuel_Man ! I gotta ask though, what's with the dual mixing valves on the radiant?
  • nibs
    Solid, if I put nothing else in my boiler room, it would hold 3.7 cords, wall to wall ceiling high.
  • GroundUp
    Mine is outside in a 20x40 lean on my shop, I can neatly stack 10 full cord in there along the sides and still have warm parking for my truck and trailer in there. Underground lines to the house serving an A/W HX and 30 plate for DHW as well as a 20 plate for snowmelt in my front sidewalk, insulated 1" copper through the shop wall to a unit heater and 40 plate in series (radiant floor), underground to another detached garage through a unit heater and 20 plate in series (radiant floor). About 6800 sq ft total plus DHW and 200 sq ft of sidewalk. I'm hoping to change some things around this fall yet and close the underground loops to minimize ground loss from constant circulation