Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Caleffi Quick setter Hot Rod

cutter
cutter Member Posts: 292
I have 4 Quick setter flow control valves three 3/4 inch and 1 one inch. The 3, 3/4 inch valves came without the filter screen screens. The gaskets were slipped over the temperature gauge stem and the back flow valve and 0 ring were inside the valve where they would be installed. But no screens. The one inch valve all the parts were inside a plastic bag, except maybe the back flow preventer and o ring.
Question is how do I get screens. Do I go to Supply house?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    I don't think we ever offered them with screens, even on the DHW version with checks inside.

It would be a very small screen, about the size of a dime :) and possibly plug quickly on a hydronic applications.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cutter
    The directions say install check valve and screen after soldering. The one inch valve has a screen. I wonder if someone bought them from supply house and pilfered the screens and returned the quicksetters.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I am not sure why you would want the screen. The circuit setter does not have tight passageways to clog.
    Having screens in multiple locations may make for difficult troubleshooting down the road.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    cutter said:

The directions say install check valve and screen after soldering. The one inch valve has a screen. I wonder if someone bought them from supply house and pilfered the screens and returned the quicksetters.

Are these for potable water use? Sounds like the Quicksetter Plus low lead version with checks.

The check valves that go into three way thermostat valves have screens, I wonder if the wrong instructions are in the box?

I'll check with Milwaukee in the morning. Strainers should not be needed on closed loop hydronic applications.

Although a Y strainer or dirt separator is alway good to have in any hydronic piping.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Actually, they do include screens. What are you using them for, exactly? I'm not sure the screens offer any benefit if these are hydronic.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • cutter
    Hot Rod, They are to be used in a hot water system they are the ones that have a hot water return thermometer. I do have a hydraulic separator in the system to hopefully take care of the dirt or any other stuff that might be in there. Any dirt might be hard on pumps.
    I am not sure why there would be a screen there either but for some reason Caleffi must think it is a goo idea.
  • cutter
    Zman, I sort of agree with you on that, I hope there is no problems down the road.
  • hot_rod
    Here is the answer from engineering.

The conical screen fits into the recess in the tailpiece after you install the check. It does lock the check in place, preventing any movement. If the check were to move under high or varying flow conditions you could get some noise.

The Quicksetter Plus you have was designed for DHW or potable water, low lead body. It also has a low GPM reading for balancing DHW recirculation loops. The check is to prevent cross flow if you have multiple recirc loops connected to a single pump.

If this is for hydronic application, hopefully the range is high enough? You may not need that check at all, if the circulator has one, or another check is in the loop.

Or with zone valves on systems you should not need a check, the ZV is 100% shutoff.

If they were missing from the box and you need or want them, I'll send some your way.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    It would be nice to get a direct acting one. I know of someone who dumps the domestic cold water into a plunge pool to keep cool well water available at the fixtures in the house. This would help him avoid wastage. Currently he just throttles a valve manually to keep just enough water flow to keep the pipes cold.
  • hot_rod
    Seems like a odd way to keep pipes cold? Ambient temperature is too warm I assume.

Maybe a temperature control and a zone valve or solenoid would work better, along with some pipe insulation.

Even a drip wastes a lot of water down the drain.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    hot rod said:

Seems like a odd way to keep pipes cold? Ambient temperature is too warm I assume.

Maybe a temperature control and a zone valve or solenoid would work better, along with some pipe insulation.

Even a drip wastes a lot of water down the drain.

Yes, the house is on a well where there is shallow water table, so the biggest waste is the electricity to pump the well water. His motivation behind this was to keep a plunge pool cold, more so than his tap water I think.
  • cutter
    hot rod said:

Here is the answer from engineering.

The conical screen fits into the recess in the tailpiece after you install the check. It does lock the check in place, preventing any movement. If the check were to move under high or varying flow conditions you could get some noise.

The Quicksetter Plus you have was designed for DHW or potable water, low lead body. It also has a low GPM reading for balancing DHW recirculation loops. The check is to prevent cross flow if you have multiple recirc loops connected to a single pump.

If this is for hydronic application, hopefully the range is high enough? You may not need that check at all, if the circulator has one, or another check is in the loop.

Or with zone valves on systems you should not need a check, the ZV is 100% shutoff.

If they were missing from the box and you need or want them, I'll send some your way.

I had no idea these were for potable water, I saw on the box or some where that they were low lead and wondered why. The ones I have, have a return thermometer . Why would a potable water loop need a thermometer on the return side?All the lines have a zone valve so I will not put the checks in. and sounds like I don't need the screens.The circulator has a check also
    All the quicksetters I have are in the flow range. The one inch goes to 7. Eventually when I run heat to the garage the unit heater calls for 8 gallons per minute. I wondered what I was going to do there.
    Thanks for the help and advise I feel better now. I am going to have to look a little closer when I shop at Supply House next time.
  • hot_rod
    Thanks for the Caleffi purchases, first off. The temperature gauges are for balancing DHW recirculation.

if for example you do not know the required gpm to set the loop or branches at, just adjust until the return is about 5° cooler than the DHW supply. that assures you are moving the exact amount thru the loop to overcome the temperature loss. Just an added feature for retro fits etc.

Yes, I agree, leave the checks out, better flow and they are not needed from what you explain.

Let me know if I can help.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    cutter, check your message box, I sent you a note there.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • cutter
    hot rod said:

Hot Rod, I checked the in box but did not see anything. even clicked on new message, did not see anything.
  • hot_rod
    cutter said:

hot rod said:

Hot Rod, I checked the in box but did not see anything. even clicked on new message, did not see anything.
    Yeah, nothing in my mail either? bob.rohr@caleffi.com if you want to send it there.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • cutter
    hot rod said:

I was looking for your note