Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MAGICAL THINKING

Options
Jackmartin
Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
edited August 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Gentlemen and Ladies
I have, once again ,run into the fallacy of magical thinking. I am discouraged by the latest statement “Well it should work like that” why should it work ,when it countervenes the laws of physics. I was amused when I first read Dan,s explanation, high pressure goes to low pressure always. I now realize this is a real problem, magical thinking dictates the laws of science and we only agree with them if it supports our knowledge bank, even when we are wrong. In other words ,if you do not know ,make it up as you go. We owe it to ourselves and our customers to adhere to the physical laws,;they are depending on us to know our trade. Obviously, the education our young people receive in public school and trade school is sorely lacking. In today’s trade, you have to read, search out information and use the manufacturer,s information. The Alberta School of Technology has a minimum of two years pre employment ,for the HVAC trade. They teach basic science, electrical theory, and mechanics —- physics. I have been at this for 43 years and if I have learned one thing, that is unassailable ,the law of physics is never wrong. They have not changed since Sir Issac Newton discovered them for the world so many years ago. We have to remember ,trade school is post secondary education, it is no less a career path than college. We have to make the people who are teaching our young people do it correctly ,or magical thinking will never be a thing of the past.
All the best Jack
Rich_49

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Some politicians are proponents of magical thinking as well! Maybe understandable because they have not all gone to their trade school to learn how to do their job.—NBC
    HVACNUT
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,259
    Options
    Even when you understand the science you're often required to make a judgement call in real world. For example when do VFD save energy?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Every thing saves energy when it's off. A customer once ask whats the most efficient stetting for her thermostat. Off I said.
    CLambHenry