Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ZVR104 caleffi control Hot Rod.

Options
cutter
cutter Member Posts: 292
Couple of questions Hot Rod. Most likely dumb. The electrical knock outs, how fragile are they . It looks like the panel could break knocking out the knock outs. Is there a trick to knocking them out?

Next question the gaskets on the Caleffi boiler protection valve, can they be bought separately?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    A small screwdriver, don't use your favorite control screwdriver :) Or a stout pocket knife. Very easy to remove.

Green gaskets are available, I think it is a R50008, but I'd need to check with Milwaukee.

A piece of Felpro gasket material from an automotive parts would work. Use a piece of copper tube the correct size and punch them out, or squeeze them out in a vice. Sharpen the tube on a belt sander or with a file first.

Clean both surfaces with a file or scratch cloth, wet the gasket before you assemble and the gasket should adhere to both brass surfaces.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • cutter
    Options
    Thanks, Hot Rod, I did not think about that smaller screw driver. That worked great and the knock out was easy to remove.

The gaskets for that boiler protection valve are about 1/8 inch thick. The felpro you suggested looks to be 1/16 or so. I do not need a gasket right now, the line is holding pressure. One of the gaskets got a little wear and tear by being taken apart and put back together a few times.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    good that you got a plan.

Certainly you can buy different thickness of gasket material, that is just a piece I had around.

A tin snips will cut out a gasket also, it doesn't need to be pretty, just enough surface contact to seal.

As longs the gasket doesn't rip you can usually salvage them with some pipe dope or Permatex gasket sealer.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • cutter
    Options
    I would rather have original equipment. But if I have to I guess I could cut one.