Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

25,000 Days

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited July 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

25,000 Days

On July 8, my body’s odometer went over 25,000 days. I’m grateful because not everyone is blessed with so many days in a life, and most of mine have been joyous. I’ve tried to learn something new on each of them, and I thought I’d share a short list of what life has taught me so far.

Read the full story here

GBartnewagedawnD107RoohollahIronmanforesthillsjd

Comments

• pitman44
    pitman44 Member Posts: 18
    Many truths there. Thank you, Dan.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Chalk it down to good maintenance!—NBC
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    So very true. Thanks for all the good advice over the years.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    edited July 2018
    Thanks, guys. And Erin, thanks for finding that pic. Seems like yesterday. What a lucky man I am.

And Wallies, Erin's the beauty on the top left.
    Retired and loving it.
    delphee
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks, Dad. We're the lucky ones. :)
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    delphee
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Now that's a good looking brood!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    That’s awesome, Dan! A blueprint for a life well lived.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Stephen. I think your list would be even better.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Haha. Well let’s put it this way, I’ve learned a lot things the hard way which could make for an interesting read.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    For sure!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Scott.Malo
    Scott.Malo Member Posts: 23
    So many good things in there Dan. If I were to add one of my own "Too much of one thing will probably kill you, especially the bad things". Thanks for posting :).
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Scott.
    Retired and loving it.
  • wyradiantguy
    wyradiantguy Member Posts: 5
    I remember going to your seminars back in the 1990's. You had them filled with good information and a lot of humor. Never forgot all the good advice given to us. Have used your pumping away system ever since then and it has helped solve a lot of heating problems I found in systems... You obviously have had a great life Dan! Hope for much success and blessing in the future for you and yours!
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks for that. Means a lot.
    Retired and loving it.
  • willasdad
    willasdad Member Posts: 23
    My father passed when I was very young. I quickly learned that there are ‘stand ins ‘ all around if you just open yourself up to them. True to this day I greatly appreciate the wisdom of any person who speaks from experience of the heart and the hand. It is from that place that adages are born, and future mistakes are often side stepped. Some great nuggets there Dan! May the odometer hold many more days of writing for you, and for us.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Skepticelt
    Skepticelt Member Posts: 8
    Words of wisdom.
  • DanHolohan
    Thank you.
    Retired and loving it.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    for all that I will have to say it doesn’t seem that long ago when I attended the lost art seminar at universal in Hawthorne I know I had more hair on my head then now and possibly a lot more knowledge in my skull now because of you. I have to say that I always enjoy all of your writings wheather tech or a entertaining way to the human nature of our business and humans funny spieces those humans. if I could wish you a longer visit w us all I certainly wouldn’t hesitate but I feel that the wall and the knowledge it holds and transmits each day is the best monument that could be erected in your honor aside from a solid gold statue lol I hope both u and TLM enjoy ur semi retirement and as always thank you for all you have done and continue to do Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Clammy. I appreciate you.
    Retired and loving it.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Dan if I remember correctly I got up n left for a smoke break before u called for a break n you caught me smoking in the bathroom n we talked briefly but as brief as it was your impact on me was a very positive thing n it re enforced that what I was doing was right reading all those I n o manuals that come w every hvac n following them especially nbp thanks again for all u do for all of us knowledge seekers n promblem solvers as u wrote be the steam be the water use your imagation n be a seeker in your profession peace n good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • DanHolohan
    Peace, my friend. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • The_Old_Guy
    The_Old_Guy Member Posts: 9
    Dan,

Regarding #6, Read every day. It doesn’t matter what you read. Just read.
    You used to have a list of books on the site years ago. I remember reading some you recommended and benefiting from them. I cannot find that list now. Could I encourage you to put it back?
    Thanks,
    The Old Guy
  • DanHolohan
    edited August 2018
    Thanks @The_Old_Guy . That list didn’t travel with a big change we made to the site years ago. I didn’t save it. Probably should have. Apologies. So many books . . .
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    @The_Old_Guy - Here's an old version of that list on our site from 2004: https://web.archive.org/web/20040619075842/http://www.heatinghelp.com:80/reading_list.cfm

The links no longer work, but the list is still there and you can copy/paste or jot down the book names you'd like.

Happy reading!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    rick in Alaska
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Erin!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    Love your family with all your heart and if you are really lucky they will return the feeling back to you.
    Hug your kids, they are the future and I know they will do a damn side better job than we did
    Never ever ,under any circumstances ,trust a politican;to do so is just foolish
    Try to be the best at what you do, read,ask questions, respect the wisdom of people who have done the thing you are trying to master, ,after all they have done it a thousand times more than you have
    Old tradesmen get old for one reason, they are careful, people who do not respect our line of work wind up dead or injuried, so be careful
    Why is it ,you always have time to fix your mistake and never enough time to do the job right the first time
    Above all else ,be tender and kind ,it costs nothing and you will think you won the lottery it makes you feel so good
    Remember, you were an apprentice once too,give the kids encouragement and be patient, you did not know anything at that age ,so why should they
    Believe in something bigger than yourself,remember we can and should give back for all the kindness we have been shown
    Never walk away when you see a child being abused ,that kid one day ,is going to be an angry adult; stopping the epidemic of violence begins when people are young
    All the best Jack
  • Paul1981
    Paul1981 Member Posts: 4
    What a great read.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, @Paul1981!
    Retired and loving it.