Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

closely space tees

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    2 nipples, 1 ball valve, and 2 tees and you will have one. Probably less $$$
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    i remember someone made one here and it was like 3 inch pipe with cross tees
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Never seen one pre-made of iron, but making your own would cost ya less than half versus trying to adapt from sweat and buying the one you have linked.
  • Snowmelt
    i know I saw it here someone will chime in tomorrow
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Cross tees? Why? Kinda changes the purpose. I build them regularly out of standard MI tees and a ball valve for the price of a case of light beer.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    That was @ironman and it was a low loss header @Snowmelt
    GroundUpGordydelta T
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    really no need for the valve in the middle? It just adds pressure drop. A purge valve on the return branch does the same job

Time to move on from primary loops anyways, it just adds another circulator. Hydraulic separators do so much more for a piping circuit
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    RPKTinman
  • Snowmelt
    this question is for Dan and hot rod, low loss header , hydronic separator vs closely spaced tee's, whats the advantage of the low loss header vs closely spaced tees?
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Check out this Caleffi LLH:

https://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/sep4tm-4-1-magnetic-hydraulic-separators-union-1-2-549506a

Has air, dirt, magnetic separation as well as hydraulic separation in one componenet. Makes installs go really fast because you install one component instead of 4. IMHO that is the biggest advantage of a LLH vs close tees.

As long as the tees are spaced correctly, the pumps are sized correctly, and the piping is sized correctly, close tees work just fine for hydraulic separation. Just a lot more work to install.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    An example of the primary loop I was mentioning. In this case you need a dedicated primary pump. A hard pump to spec, usually high gpm low head. In this series primary loop drawing you need multiple components for air and dirt protection in addition to all the site built piping, insulation, etc.

With a 4 in 1 separator, everything is in one device and you have magnetic separation function, less labor, less heatloss and no math involved. With a separator, all those zone pumps see the same SWT, with the series primary loop you have temperature drop at every connection.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream