Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When the HO is a stone mason

Ironman
Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
edited July 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
New Bosch heat pump, dual fuel.

I like a tight vacuum.

Bob Boan
You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
GBart

Comments

• Ironman
    What came out: a 30 year old Trane down flow. There was no a/c previously.

Bob Boan
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Very nice job. Had one of those old Tranes with a single burner. On another job I did for a very well known chef at a swanky DC restaurant I was going over the equipment with him telling all about SEER ratings and warranties and such and he kept going back to the outdoor unit pad, how was I planning on leveling it and so on. I told I would reuse his existing pad and shove a few rocks under it as best I could. I said it dodn't have to be 100% level. Oh yes it does he said. My father from Italy is coming to visit this summer and the first he will do is throw a level on that AC unit and it had better be level. I told him I would come out and remove the unit and he could level the pad to his hearts content. And he did. Came back the next day and set the new unit. One of my nicer looking jobs.
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    95 microns... nice!

Was that on the vacuum pump for 29 min or was that 29 min after the pump was shut off?
  • Ironman
    On for 29 min.
    Bob Boan
    NY_Rob
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    I pull to 200, level off 500 max. That’s Tim Robbins’ head freezing off in Mission to Mars vac level!
    Just a guy running some pipes.
    NY_RobSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Ironman
    I'm always doing something else while pulling a vacuum on an install, so it has plenty of time.
    Bob Boan
  • NY_Rob
    ^ you must have a pretty nice pump!

I was reading that it's recommended to change the oil each job... it that accurate?
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Always happy to hear about pulling vacuum. I gather majority do the nitrogen purge?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    No nitrogen=no professional!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    ratioCanuckerNY_Rob
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @NY_Rob changing the oil is recommended for each job. If not evacuating dirty or contaminated systems you can probably do a few evacuations before changing the oil. But it's the first thing to do if you are having problems pulling down and the system is tight.
    NY_Robratio
  • Ironman
    We flow nitrogen while brazing; pressure test with it; and purge with it.
    Bob Boan
    Solid_Fuel_ManGBartratio
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    > @Ironman said:
    > We flow nitrogen while brazing; pressure test with it; and purge with it.

And I would write a check for whatever you quoted for the job, @Ironman
    Why the heck is that so hard to find and where do you real professionals hide out? I can't seem to find one.
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • NY_Rob
    Canucker said:

Why the heck is that so hard to find and where do you real professionals hide out? I can't seem to find one.

They're hard to find because it costs more and it takes longer to "do it right" vs. quick and dirty that maximizes profits... which is all that some firms are interested nowadays.

Our neighbor at work just got a mini-split installed for their showroom/office. The "Professional" HVAC firm (with a nice modern work van with fancy color graphic wrap) installed a "Mr Cool DIY" unit with the pre-pressurized linesets that require no purging no evac, no cutting... just connect them and hand the customer the remote... in and out in 2hrs!
    Minimum labor time, no specialized tools (vac pump, manifold set, micron gauge, nitro tank/regulator, flare tools, torque wrench, crowfoot set, etc..) and maximum profit.
    Quick... quick... quick... on to the next victim.. er customer!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I like all the stone work, that is a trade I wish I had more experience. Seems like a fun relaxing home project, stacking rocks.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Canucker